Has anyone successfully carried on a 21.5" iMac on plane?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TrulySimple, Jan 23, 2010.

1. TrulySimple macrumors newbie

I was thinking how, with a laptop you must take it out of the bag and place in the tray to go through security. This may seem a bit bulky and large with iMac? I have heard others have carried on 20" iMacs, so the new 21.5" is not all that much larger. It appears the total measurements of length + width + depth of the carry-on bag with the 21.5" iMac are 45.5" this is only stretching the carry-on max rule of 45". Though I notices some airlines state the width of the bag being less. So, I am planning to go to Australia with my iMac (moving there) and would like to know if anyone in the Mac community has traveled with a 21.5" iMac as a carry-on. Any thing else you can tell me about it would be great! :)

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Perhaps, but the fold-up trays aren't big enough.

Go to the airline's website and just read the carry-on regulation size. It should
    state the dimensions of the bag (or whatever) you're allowed to carry on. Sometimes there are specific limits to the length, width, and height of the item you're allowed to carry on, while other airlines ask that the length + width + height is less than 55" or something. I don't know.

3. iLina macrumors member

As far as i understood your question, you want to take the iMac in your hand carry, i suggest you take the iMac in your luggage. you just need to pack it well with some extra styro foams :apple:

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

fedex it

thats definitely not worth the hassle trying to bring on a plane.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yeah...that'd be way to expensive. Close to $800 from U.S -> Australia for something that big.

6. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

holy crap:eek:

7. dankybear macrumors regular

sell it and buy a new one in Australia? thats what i would do...

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

More like sell it and buy a laptop.