Has anyone successfully done the return/repurchase to get on IUP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by knicksplayer, Nov 3, 2017.

1. knicksplayer macrumors member

Since a lot of people received their iPhone X, wondering if anyone took a full priced iPhone to an Apple Store to execute a return/repurchase to join the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.

2. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

I tried. Said I’d have to return the phone and wait 24hours

3. knicksplayer thread starter macrumors member

Wait 24 hours? Maybe you got a sales person who doesn't know how the return/repurchase can be done. Don't see how there's a 24 hour delay if you're rebuying that same iPhone you just gave them...

4. jwright0 macrumors newbie

Has anyone else had luck with this today? I just got my X delivered and was wanting to take it into the store tomorrow to try to get on IUP.

5. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

yes. ordered and got delivered an iUP phone in SG. Took into store where I had a reservation for a Silver. Returned the IUP phone. Then redid my IUP process on the silver phone. Easy peazy.

6. knicksplayer thread starter macrumors member

Let us know how it goes. Heard from a couple people I know that they were successful doing this with a full price T-Mobile iPhone X purchased via Apple.com during preorder.

7. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

That's more of an exchange.

I think OP wants to know if he can return the unit he currently has then repurchase on iUP.

Truth be told I'm kind of considering this now.

8. ericiu2 macrumors newbie

I did it in store. T-Mobile first time IUP person. Pre-ordered phone and paid in full. They processed the pickup, then the closed box return, then the repurchase under the IUP. They had to get an iPad out to login to the T-Mobile system.

9. knicksplayer thread starter macrumors member

That's great to hear! Exactly what I plan on doing.

10. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

Guys.

I had paid in full for my iPhone X and when I went to pick it up I wanted to switch to the iPhone upgrade program. They went to issue a refund and resell me the phone. They proceeded with the process but couldn’t get it to go through so they said I should just stick with my original payment and I said that’s fine. I got a email receipt and left.

I left the store and got my receipt that says I paid in full but I have no pending or complete charge on my debt card. Nothing at all. I’m not sure If I just walked out with a free iPhone X or what?

11. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Oh it will be back on there. Usually it's just an authorization hold which falls off and then a real charge will come soon.

12. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

That’s cool. I’m probably going to return the phone but I didn’t know how to go about it without a charge on my card.

13. knicksplayer thread starter macrumors member

God that sucks. What carrier did you try the IUP? Was it an error of some kind or was it loan approval related? Just trying to understand why it failed.

14. toohectic macrumors member

Since I'm on T-Mobile, I too had to purchase the phone in full since the IUP purchase option wasn't available for T-Mobile customers. What advantage does switching to IUP get me, other than spreading the payments out over a 24-month period? Just ease of turning the phone in at next year's release? I bought AppleCare+ with my X. I'm trying to determine if this is something I should do before I open it.

15. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

T-mobile. The guy at Apple doing it tried to add the upgrade program before returning the phone. He filled out all the info on the iPad and wasn’t sure what to do to complete the transaction so he went back and asked a supervisor and they said that I’d have to return the phone and rebuy one tomorrow but they couldn’t guarantee they would have any. That’s when he said I should just stick with my original payment in full. That’s when he handed me the phone and said I was good to go. I have a receipt from Apple that says I picked up the phone and the Apple care activation email. I’m wondering if they cancelled my payment when trying to add the upgrade program and didn’t actually charge me. ‍♂️

16. knicksplayer thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like a really confusing situation that may have turned in your favor yeah. Guess you'll know in a few days if no charge pops up...

So strange that the supervisor said you needed to come back the next day buying another phone. Seems the issue is that it's not common knowledge that you can technically -at least based on majority of people who tried it- return/repurchase same device.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    Yes mainly spreading your cost and rolling in Apple Care+ payment. Also good if you don't want to worry about selling your iPhone if you upgrade next cycle. Seems there has been slight (unofficial) IUP shipping priority for the iPhone X...

17. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

I guess I’ll give it until Monday or Tuesday for the charge to show up. When I ordered the phone I initially had a pending charge but it dropped off a few days ago. They guy helping me told me he was pretty new to the job so I thing that made it all even more confusing.

18. knicksplayer thread starter macrumors member

Great news guys...just successfully did this with two iPhones I picked up this morning. Was very upfront about converting from full price T-Mobile iPhone X to moving to IUP. The employee helping me was very helpful and didn't even need the help of a supervisor to go through the motions. He had never done it before but when I walked him through the logic he agreed and said it shouldn't be an issue at all. He did acknowledge this probably isn't doable if the iPhone box is opened.
    Step 1 was taking delivery of the pick-up (signature, receipt received)
    Step 2 was returning the iPhones (receipt showing return completed)
    Step 3 was re-purchasing those same iPhones just as if I was walking into the store and they happened to have stock
    Step 4 was getting approved for loan (did this via Apple, one phone at a time)
    And that was it!
    So don't let anyone tell you this is not possible...it's very straightforward and Apple has no problem doing this and frankly doesn't care if you give them the money or if it's Citizens One via approved loan from you...