Has anyone successfully returned an apple online order in store??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wr1020, Jun 25, 2009.

1. wr1020 macrumors regular

I ordered my 16gb 3gs from apple.com and received it on the 19th and i just realized now that i want the 32. I called my apple store and said they can't exchange online orders in store and that i would have to do the return online. I called again and a lady told me i would have to cancel my att contract since i'm within 30 days of signing and return the phone then re sign a contract and just buy a 32.

Does anyone know if there are draw backs to this, would they charge me a restocking fee since i'm technically returning it? Would my account number stay the same? I still don't see why they can't just exchange it on the spot, pay the difference and swap sim cards and be done with it. If anyone can answer these questions i'd appreciate it. Thanks

2. LSK6453 macrumors member

While not 100% similar to you, I had a defective 32gb that I ordered from the online store. I took it to the local Apple Store on Tuesday night and they confirmed that it was indeed faulty. They said that I had to go home and call Apple Care to have it replaced since I purchased it online. When I made the call, the rep at Apple Care was sooooo pissed that the store told me to do that. He got a supervisor on the phone right away and they called the store to ream them out about telling me to do that. I did not call upset or anything.

Needless to say, I was sent back to the store where I got my 32gb phone swapped out, a free set of iphone accessories (headphones, charger and cable) as well as a Griffin external battery accessory type thing for free.

Bonus for me.

3. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Did you get an exchange for a new one in the box, or for a service replacement?

4. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Sorry, but the Apple retail store was correct by having you call Apple Care. All online orders have to be processed through the online system.

No orders online can be returned in store.

So the AP rep should of known better. I do a horrible job....I've seen it hundreds of times