Has anyone successfully transferred texts to a new iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tfitzsimons, Dec 26, 2011.

1. tfitzsimons macrumors member

I am having technical troubles with my iphone, but the people at the apple store won't do anything about it until I reinstall the OS and start the phone brand new, not from a backup. (The problems I am having have to do with the microphone shorting out in the middle of conversations, and the camera producing gargled photos.)

I am trying to wipe my phone but save my text messages. Like a lot of other people I have a certain text message conversation with someone that stretches back years that I would like to save.

Has anyone successfully ported the text file from a backup to a new phone? I tried doing this once and it didn't work so I wonder if it is actually possible. I don't want to restore any other part of my data aside from my text log.

Thanks for your help. I tried searching the forums for a success story and couldn't find it so if it has been answered and someone has a link I'd be very appreciative.

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

yes you can do it. but, you will also get your other stuff as well. and quite possibly if there is a problem with your current setup when you restore to that backup you will get it back. I have many times backed up my phone, restored or updated it and then restored from the backup and gotten my texts back. but everything else I backed up comes also. so what you need to do is delete anything you dont want like recent calls, notes, etc you need to get rid of first.

3. tfitzsimons thread starter macrumors member

this isn't what i meant. has anyone started the phone NEW and then changed the text message backup file in the new backup database? i cannot restore from backup, or they will not help me fix my phone.

tim