Has anyone successfully used a bootcamp'd HD in another MBP of same specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darkus, Sep 18, 2011.

1. darkus macrumors regular

I have a 2.2GHZ 2011 MBP 15", on which I have bootcamp with Windows 7 and all my stuff nicely setup.

Now my problem is the computer itself can get sluggish at random times for no reason (I dont have many apps loaded). What my 2010 MBP could do with ease, this computer studders with.

I'm pretty sure I have a bunk CPU or other physical component.

Long story short, I want to buy a brand new MBP of the same exact specs and simply take my harddrive from this computer and plug it into the new one. Im hoping since they are the same spec/model my Windows7 partition will just work, but I know that windows like to check the hardware signatures to make sure its the same computer.

Has anyone done this kind of transplant successfully? I dont want to go through the cloning process, I just want to literally take this harddrive and plug it into the new computer

Thanks!

2. darkus thread starter macrumors regular

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Windows will likely want to reactivate, detecting a different main serial no, but otherwise it should work.

4. christeeezy macrumors member

I think you'll be fine on the Windows side, I used to transplant HDDs all the time back when I worked at a repair shop. As long as the hardware was same or similar, it worked while just needing new drivers. But you're transplanting into a same spec machine so I think you're good to go.