Has anyone switched successfully from a 15" to a 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Dec 6, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hello, I was thinking of upgrading my 15" MBP Classic and now that the 13" is also nice and aluminum like the 15", I am thinking of getting a 13" MBP. Has anyone gone from a 15" to a 13"? Are you happy with the switch?

2. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I tried, but I couldn't get used to the smaller screen resolution. I felt like I was spending all my time moving windows around. Of course, I've since gone to a 17" and love it, so the 13" probably wasn't ever going to be a good fit for me.

Other than the screen resolution, I didn't notice a very big difference in size or weight - I couldn't think of a situation where the smaller size would make up for the smaller resolution.

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I actually prefer a smaller screen on a laptop, and have always found my 15" mbp to be a little too wide to be truly portable.

However my main computer uses a 23" HD ACD and the laptop is more for sofasurfing and writing than anything else. If it was my only computer I would likely want more screen real estate.

Perhaps a laptop/desktop monitor combo would be a good option for you?

4. Sace macrumors member

I did the switch - Classic MBP 2.4 Penryn -> 13" uMBP 2.26.

Overall i'm really happy about my decision! I like the smaller form factor, and the screen is just nice.

5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I did when I bought an imac as a desktop. The 13" made a lot more sense then

6. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I switched from the 15" MBP (first gen) to the current 13" MBP. I was going to get the MBA and then buy a desktop but I couldn't work out the logistics (whole other story) so I went with the 13" MBP.
    To be honest, 4 months later, I haven't really noticed a change - for better or worse. Obviously there were differences - the resolution is smaller and the speakers weren't as good (but I mean, they're laptop speakers) but as far as I can tell, it's be fine.
    Ultimately no opinion on here is more or less valid and people will have their preferences but I am absolutely happy with the switch. It's going to depend on what you use it for - most of the things I do are audio related and I pretend to be a pro photographer and use Aperture and the 13" is fine. Would a bigger screen be better for Aperture? Yeah, but if I was truly concerned about the screen I would likely be buying an external monitor in the 24" range.
    I would recommend looking at the applications you use and what you need in the computer. If you're doing graphics work or play games you're probably going to need the better graphics card so the high-end 15" would be your starting point. If not then I don't see a reason NOT to get the 13".
    I love it, it took me about a week to get used to it - everything, not just the resolution but the actual physical size, the black border around the screen, the chicklet keys (my MBP had the powerbook keyboard) but as I said, now it's fine, I'm very happy with it.

7. The General macrumors 601

8. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Yeah, that's the thing i'm considering. would a $500 screen plus the smaller mbp be better than the slightly faster 15" MBP.

9. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

lol here's my timeline

MBA rev B -> uMBP 17'' -> uMBP 13'' -> uMBP 15''. HAPPY. at least until they get a GT series or ATI better on here. 9600gt isn't good enough for me =[

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

thats what I would go for. recently my mac pro needed to to be repaired and i was stuck with a macbook (2.26/2GB/250GB) for a couple of weeks. It was actually a great combo...

when I left I had a great portable, and when I got back to my desk I was back to a wireless Keyboard and mouse and 1920x1200 screen.

If I could only have one computer, this would definitely be the way I would go.

11. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

yeah those extra dpi really come in handy. since I would get more real estate at the desk, this kind of compensates for the missing two inches when mobile. finally the other drawback would be the slower processor, but i'm converting avchd to a mov file as we speak and i'm only using 50% of the processor.

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

what particular models are you looking at?

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I recently went from a 15" MBP to a 12" Dell, and (yea it's not a 13" MB), I find I like it a lot more then my MBP because it's so much more portable, so I'm more likely to have it in my backpack. After all, what good is a computer if you never have it with you?

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I did. I went from a 15" MPB to a unibody MB. (I don't have the 'Pro' or the firewire) It's a great little machine all things considered. I guess what annoyed me about the 13" was also an annoyance with the 15", so it was not ever a size issue with me.

I do audio production, which can take up a lot of screen space, and the smaller screen is not that much smaller then the 15".

15. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

This isn't the same computers as you're talking about but I switched to a smaller laptop and like it so much better.. I had a 14" iBook that as soon as I got it I instantly regretted not getting the smaller screen...If I was going to be using it in the same spot most of the time I wouldn't mind so much but I found the bigger computer to just be a bit too big to carry around comfortably.. For me the 13" is a perfect size.. Once my iBook finally died I got a 13" macbook and really enjoy it much more..

Like I said, not the exact specs you were looking for but I definitely went to a smaller screen and am glad I did..

16. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I had a 15.4" 1680x1050 laptop and switched to a 13" macbook. Once you get used to spaces it's very easy and I love how small and solid it feels in my hands. It's not my only computer though. I have a desktop PC running a 24inch monitor at home.

I recommend the 13 and an external monitor if you don't need more power. I would think of the 15" if it offered a higher resolution. 1440x900 is kind of pathetic for a 1800 euro laptop.

17. whitemacbook macrumors member

whitemacbook

Let's see now
    I went 14" to 15" to 15" HIGH RESOLUTION to 15" to 13" now i'm at 17"

when I went from the Core Duo MBP to a macbook I really missed those extra 200 pixels down the side

If it's your main machine I wouldn't.Screen real estate is everything

18. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I bought my girlfriend a 13" and got myself a 15" (both unibody) sometimes if my laptop is upstairs I grab hers if i need to look at something quickly and I always realize that I could never downgrade to the 13" screen. I've gotten so used to my 15"

19. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I sold my 15" LED backlit Santa-Rosa MBP for a new 13" 2.26.

I do find the resolution a bit limiting at times. but this is mainly my "netbook" 80% of the time. I have a mac pro with dual 20" cinema displays when I need to do some serious work. When I am doing an on-site recording job with my macbook pro I just grab one of my cinema displays and all is well.

The slight speed boost & DDR3 memory were worth the loss of dedicated graphics & 15" screen. I did use the express card card slot on the 15", but only because protools required a dongle & i needed more USB. Now that I've switched to logic... no need. I actually make more use of the SD reader than I ever did the express card slot.

The glossy is annoying, but I deal.

My first apple was a 12" iBook G3 (dual usb).... I am quite fond of portable portables.

20. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Was the 15" your secondary computer before you got your 13"?

21. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I just picked up two 13 inch 2.53's over the weekend. One has 4GB of ram, 500 GB, the other has 320 7200 rpm and 8GB. The scaled down unit replaced my girlfriend's 24 inch iMac and the other replaced my 2.83 15 inch unibody. We are going to be on the road for a little over a year doing a photo-documentary project and needed to trim it down a lot.

We still have a quad core Mac Pro with twin Raptors, RAID, as our main scan and design station so we have plenty of horsepower at home.

I honestly never used the faster graphics card in the 15 2.83, I only do photo work on my machines, no gaming, no external monitors. Most of my scans are between 100-300 MB and digital that are 36-72 MB, these machines handle it fine.

I think the 15 is great, but the 13 is just the right size for travel, getting into a lot more carry on bags and small backpacks. I have absolutely no issues with the smaller screen size, it's fine.

These are not a step down for us, they are a step up due to how we use computers in our lives.

22. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Great way to look at it.

23. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Loving my new 13

Had the 15" Macbook pro (1st gen), and sold it a while back, just got the 13.3 and I love the fact that I can carry it with me through the airport and not have to put it away in my backpack like I did with the 15"... It's very portable.. And the screen doesn't bother me too much, then again I'm 33, and still have pretty good "Reading" vision. ;)

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you do work mostly at home then the external screen will be fine; however, if you tend to do a lot of work on the go then I think the 13"'s screen will feel cramped.