Has anyone taken a Gap Year?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Oct 9, 2012.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Just wondering if anyone here has taken a year off of school or work.

I didn't make design school with my portfolio last year so I am attempting again, and also applying to other schools this year.

If I don't make any design school, I am thinking of simply taking a year off of school. Possibly get a job, travel, learn about myself, explore art and design more to create an even better portfolio, and try again.

Is this a good idea?

PS - If any designers are here, PM me. I want you to review my portfolio when the time comes. :)

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I wish I did in between undergrad and grad school. If you have the opportunity and can afford it, I don't really see a downside.

3. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I did after my A-Levels. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and didn't want to accept my offers to study English at a mediocre university (I wasn't exactly aiming high :p).

I did a Chemistry A-Level in a year and started a Biomedical Science degree at a top 5 university the following fall.

Worth it. Though I wish I used it more productively to learn a language or travel a bit. I just studied, worked part-time and played a lot of Street Fighter with my friends :eek:

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I would work at some design firm or work with some creative people at least. That can be much more valuable than any design school. Save your money!

5. lucky518 macrumors member

Well I am taking this year off since I couldn't get a good college because of some stupid mistakes. But now I don't regret it since I think I could end up on one of the best out there. Just took SAT Subjects tests on the 6th while I will be giving the SAT1 in November. I even gave IELTS on which I scored a band of 7.5. On the other hand I am also learning some computer languages to increase my extra curricular activities.
    By the way I am from India.

6. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

I took a gap year and loved it so much that I took another 3! I worked the entire time, traveled extensively and found a line of work that I love. I eventually went back to school for undergrad and grad. Looking back, it was an awesome decision, given my situation at the time. If it feels right, go for it.

7. TedM macrumors 6502

People always wish they took a year off. Its worth it. But you do need money. Its sad. Money > everything. But if for some reason you are ok for one year. By all means do something you will enjoy. No one else is living your life.

8. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I'm on one now, working for IBM in their UK labs. Will be doing Electronic Engineering or something similar at uni next year :)

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I took a semester and a summer to work before going back to grad school. I had worked at the same firm the summer before my final undergrad semester. I found it beneficial to know a little about the "real world" while in grad school, and I had professors that commented that those who had some work experience were more receptive or "easier to teach".