Has anyone tested calls on watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BMMAC027, Apr 24, 2015.

1. BMMAC027 macrumors newbie

I was having fun with the watch and made a call to the gf. The speaker on the watch seems rly low. I dont mind this since i wont use it for phone calls, but i wanted to check and see if low speaker volume was normal.

2. sterl320 macrumors 6502

same here. i thought it would be a bit louder, but then again, i wouldn't want it to be really loud anyway.

3. slpslee1 macrumors member

I just made one call, but I was pleasantly surprised that I could hear perfectly well, and the party on the other end said they could hear me fine. The volume is adjustable, but it defaults to very low (at least mine was). I turned it all the way up before making the call.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

yeah, my friend said I sounded very clear...like it was HD voice. I wonder if it was since I was on wifi and tmobile has that.

There is a little icon in the bottom left of the lock screen on your iPhone that looks like a phone. If you drag it up, it moves the call to your phone.

5. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

With it all the way up I had no problem hearing in my quiet living room. I would not have been able to hear somewhere with light to moderate ambient noise. A lot of the early reviews said it was low for them as well. The 3 people I called all said it was very clear on their side.

6. HerdJC macrumors member

HerdJC

I had no problems with the call except for when the person on the other line went to speakerphone. That bled out enough of the volume that I had some troubles understanding them. I also tested the handoff feature to my 6+ and it worked without a hitch.

7. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yep. The tiny speaker isn't made for long-term conversations or music playing.

8. anez macrumors 6502

anez

Just tested it now.

No problems with volume-- it was definitely loud enough to easily hear.

However, there's some serious delay involved, and a lot of feedback.

9. segrobja macrumors regular

Yeah, the delay is pretty bad. I had a friend flat out ask me if I was high because of the latency.

10. whatos macrumors 6502a

Mine is also low. Perhaps Apple will improve it with an update

11. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

Maybe, I remember the original iPhone had this problem and was improved with a software update.

12. whatos macrumors 6502a

True my original iPhone was horrible out of the box.

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Having an issue with calling from my wife's Sport. I can call out from the watch but and I have the call screen, but the sound is actually routed through the phone's earpiece. What gives?

14. RGGoch macrumors newbie

Call failed on Watch

I've just had the Watch for a few hours and tried the phone app right away - it failed on two different numbers. I've been trying to find out what I might be doing wrong - perhaps some setting on the iPhone?

But I'm patient and having a blast messing around with it all.

15. nermal0 macrumors regular

Works great for me. Speaker is loud enough, although not as clear as the iPhone. No delay I can notice.

Best thing is that i can just keep my arm on the desk while speaking, no need to raise my wrist. The mic seems sensitive enough that noone can tell the difference between a call from the watch or the phone.

16. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Same exact problem. Don't get it.

17. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Couple of calls to/from my wifes watch. We tested this, and the delay wasn't bad at all for us. You could hear her talk, then hear it come from the phone. I'd say maybe 150-200 ms latency, nothing out of the ordinary.

Sound from the watch microphone was great. Sounded very clear. The watch speaker was fine indoors. May be a bit weak out doors, but nothing you can't compensate for.

My wife is always doing stuff in the garden and house, and doesn't carry her phone. Had the watch today, and she loved getting calls and texts on her wrist without carrying the phone. Range was a good 30-40' from the phone, which covers most of our property.

All-in-all, very pleased with the watch. I never saw this as a phone replacement. If we got a watch + fitness functions that would be fine. The connectivity and notifications from the phone are a very nice addition, indeed.

18. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Yup it's super low. But my Mom said I sounded clear.

19. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

tested a few times. Worked great for me. Could hear the caller and they could hear me fine, and I'm half deaf!!!! Very happy with the speaker.

20. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

21. jredecop, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

jredecop macrumors 6502a

Think my watch is messed up. It will not work :( routes audio to iPhone and i don't see options to change that??

Had to restart my iPhone. Completely restored my watch and that did nothing and a simple phone restart got it going. Guess there's a few bugs to work out.

22. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Here is my watch and I love it

It works amazing and my apple pay and everything is set up now I love it so damn much already!

[​IMG]

Link to the gallery

click here for my gallery

23. SomeGuy2112 macrumors regular

It seemed kind of low to me at first on a test call, but then I actually took a call while driving. Sounded good enough, even in the car with road noise, that I tool the whole call from it instead of pulling out the phone and BT headset...

Much better than I expected in real world use..

24. jaeb0922 macrumors regular

jaeb0922

Sound was a bit low to me also, but then again, I did mind it being so. So far, Im loving the watch!

25. gman36 macrumors regular

I have to be within 30ft line of sight of my phone to hold a cell phone call. Just as expected, but some may be wondering if it was using wifi. Bluetooth only calling!