Has anyone thought about the possibility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilcosco08, Oct 2, 2011.

1. lilcosco08, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

That the 4S/low cost 4 is the China unicom model that was reportedly finished a while ago?

Just a thought (and hoping for a redesign)

2. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I do remember this being speculated upon in another thread.

Yeah it's possible there is a China-only version. In fact I'd be shocked if China got the exact models the US got.

3. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Do you have the link to the thread? I probably missed it.

4. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

That is true. Currently, the iPhone 4 doesn't work on the 3G networks in China, right? Or was it the iPad that was denied access to 3G for a while? I remember reading about that picture that showed an iPhone 4 running on China's 3G network, which was a step forward for iPhone in China.

Not to mention the meetings Tim Cook had with Chinese execs about the new iPhone. They're probably getting their own variety, like how Verizon got their own. As for that being the 4S... possible.

5. mholtz2323 macrumors member

There was a post here...
    http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-2844989.html

This guy has been quite accurate with other previous Apple info. He predicted problems with the white iphone as well as the release of the ipad 2 3g in china.

He explains in his post (must translate) that the iPhone 5 is having hardware issues. Days later, 9to5mac wrote an article stating there was a hardware issue that was delaying the iPhone. Apparently there were bubbles forming underneath the screen.

He says the iPhone 4S has been ready, but iOS 5 wasn't ready. Then, the iPhone 5 started to have manufacturing issues and that delayed the 4S even more. I guess they are trying to wait for everything to come together.

He goes on to talk about the iPhone 5 being thinner with a 4inch screen and a 8mp camera. He even talks about it not being called "retina" anymore because they increased the screen size.

Like anything on the internet, you never know what to believe. We will see on October 4th what they announce. But either way, it is interesting.
    Maybe too many problems kept popping up and they had to delay it or maybe they announce it, but at a later date?

6. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

hmm thats a possibility.

i dont care though. i just want tuesday to arrive so we know

7. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

Huh? Apple sells pretty much every product they have in China, there are plenty of buyers in that market.

The iPhones and iPads are only 3G-capable with one of the three carrier in China, China Unicom, for the moment. However most people there prefer staying on the 2G network of China Mobile for better coverage(think about Verizon vs AT&T) and cheaper voice plans.

Plus China Unicom has some issues with Apple about profits and data plans, Apple released iPad 2 WiFi+3G on their own, without any special data plans from Unicom to back it.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Perhaps this iPhone being assembled in Brazil is for solely for Brazil so apple can avoid the extremely high tariffs and taxes paid on imports.

9. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Indeed :D

10. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Also, what was the codename for the iPhone 4?