Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thinking of buying it to give MacBook more bass

My two cents:
There's a reason why there's a max volume. Anything above that has the potential for distortion, or worse yet, blowing out the speakers causing permanent damage. Therefore, I advice not using the boosting feature of the app if you get it.
There are of course other features, so let's discuss those.
The equaliser can be of valid use since it's possible to tune speakers to make their harmonix closer to flat with some manual tweaking. However, without extremely well trained ears or instruments to measure, it's more likely you'll, objectively speaking, worsen the sound relative to the master recordings' intents. It may still sound subjectively better, which is entirely valid, but again, personally, I'd stay away from it (I do use an equaliser myself for various different things, but I don't recommend Boom for this if you want to change the sound characteristics. Unless you want the features i'll discuss in the next paragraph)
And then of course there are the post-processing effects that Boom comes with. Again, it's a subjective thing, but if you want audio as close to the mastering as possible, I recommend staying away from it. They do flavour the sound in unique ways that for some things to my ears do make things sound better, but for most things, no. Whilst there is a measurable aspect to sound, what sounds good is subjective though, so I urge you to try the trial version if you're interested and see for yourself. Make sure to delete all the files when you decide to get rid of the trial however (either to buy the full version or to stay away), since if you just remove tha .app there will still be modification files lying around potentially impacting the audio still. After deleting it myself, I had a problem with audio permanently being boosted till I found the pesky file responsible for the havoc.

Anyway, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions :)

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
I like it, lots of people do. Give it a shot during the trial and see for yourself. I think the uninstall feature will work fine. If you have an issue like the man above, just google it. I've had it for 3 years and have installed and uninstalled it with no problem.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I also like it. I have had it on several desktops and laptops over the years, starting with Boom 1. Like golfnut1982, I have installed and uninstalled it, with no residual issues, like audio being permanently boosted.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
the uninstall feature will work

Bunkers - There was an uninstaller with the app? Well there we go then. Totally an error ID10T on my part then. I just threw it in the trash, haha.
I stand by my other comments however, and still suggest trial usage for the OP to form his/her own opinions on the matter before moving on.
Cheers everyone

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
Bunkers - There was an uninstaller with the app? Well there we go then. Totally an error ID10T on my part then. I just threw it in the trash, haha.
I stand by my other comments however, and still suggest trial usage for the OP to form his/her own opinions on the matter before moving on.
Cheers everyone

i just moved it to trash and it seems to have deleted
[doublepost=1487707960][/doublepost]maybe im being paranoid maybe my speakers are damaged now?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
i just moved it to trash and it seems to have deleted
--- Post Merged, 12 minutes ago --- maybe im being paranoid maybe my speakers are damaged now?

For any app that has an uninstall feature, I recommend using it, as apps almost always leave files all over the system that can be a pain to hunt down manually.

Do they sound damaged? I assume no. Then there's no problem, so don't worry about it. If they'd been blown out, you'd be able to hear it very clearly.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
For any app that has an uninstall feature, I recommend using it, as apps almost always leave files all over the system that can be a pain to hunt down manually.

Do they sound damaged? I assume no. Then there's no problem, so don't worry about it. If they'd been blown out, you'd be able to hear it very clearly.

they sound ok but when lseinting to radio gag by queen when bass kiks in it sounds like its poppin lol

iv manually found all fils through library ......and deleted them also ran a script to find boom 2 files and they cant be found so i have rid all of it....
[doublepost=1487711185][/doublepost]maybe its just the subwoofer but it looks like its popping

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
The end all be all is: If you want better sound, buy better speakers/headphones. Buy a DAC. Get a decent Bluetooth speaker.

There is an old automotive adage: "There is no replacement for displacement". This also DIRECTLY applies to lower [midbass/bass] frequencies. Low base requires a large [ideally 12"+] speaker to adequately generate said tones. it needs a large volume of air behind it to help it resonate properly and a large enough space in your room for the vibrational frequencies to unfold. Trying to push bass out of dime sized speakers is like trying to push the entire volume of the Mississippi River through a drinking straw: Not only will you fail, but you could very well lose the straw in the process.

Failing that, there are companies like Beats that cater to those who enjoy terribly butchered vocals, mids, and highs for overly saturated bass. Of course, if you're listening to Techmaster, they're absolutely perfect ;)

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
The end all be all is: If you want better sound, buy better speakers/headphones. Buy a DAC. Get a decent Bluetooth speaker.

There is an old automotive adage: "There is no replacement for displacement". This also DIRECTLY applies to lower [midbass/bass] frequencies. Low base requires a large [ideally 12"+] speaker to adequately generate said tones. it needs a large volume of air behind it to help it resonate properly and a large enough space in your room for the vibrational frequencies to unfold. Trying to push bass out of dime sized speakers is like trying to push the entire volume of the Mississippi River through a drinking straw: Not only will you fail, but you could very well lose the straw in the process.

Failing that, there are companies like Beats that cater to those who enjoy terribly butchered vocals, mids, and highs for overly saturated bass. Of course, if you're listening to Techmaster, they're absolutely perfect ;)

Boom increases my volume on my MBP when I am listening to video like You Tube, and it does improve sound quality on Tidal, and Amazon Music. However, when I use my Audioquest Dragonfly with headphones, that combination is much preferred. In fact, I have to turn off Boom in order to use my DAC because the two together cause distortion. No damage to my speakers with Boom. Again, I use Boom for videos on my computer, and a DAC for finer listening on the Mac.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
The developer of Boom sucks. I purchased it (and it wasn't cheap) and a few months later they changed it to Boom 2, meaning everybody had to buy it again. There were no major enhancements to justify this change, it was merely a scam to rob people of more money. Old users weren't given any upgrade options. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, needless to say I didn't buy it again.

I wouldn't trust the developer as far as I could kick him.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The developer of Boom sucks. I purchased it (and it wasn't cheap) and a few months later they changed it to Boom 2, meaning everybody had to buy it again. There were no major enhancements to justify this change, it was merely a scam to rob people of more money. Old users weren't given any upgrade options. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, needless to say I didn't buy it again.

I wouldn't trust the developer as far as I could kick him.

I believe that the statement about older users not being given any upgrade options, is only true for Apple App store purchasers. The develops stated that the App Store does not have the ability to offer an upgrade option at the time of release.

Instead, what the developer suggested, for those upgrading from Boom 1 App Store purchase, was to forward him your Boom 1 sales purchase email from Apple and you could upgrade to the Boom 2 website version at 50% discount.

It seems to me that the developer was working as best he could with the restrictions of the App Store, so not sure I agree it is a "scam." Unless of course he had failed to deliver on the 50% discounts he promised?

Reactions: Shark5150

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I believe that the statement about older users not being given any upgrade options, is only true for Apple App store purchasers. The develops stated that the App Store does not have the ability to offer an upgrade option at the time of release.

Instead, what the developer suggested, for those upgrading from Boom 1 App Store purchase, was to forward him your Boom 1 sales purchase email from Apple and you could upgrade to the Boom 2 website version at 50% discount.

It seems to me that the developer was working as best he could with the restrictions of the App Store, so not sure I agree it is a "scam." Unless of course he had failed to deliver on the 50% discounts he promised?

You're right, I did purchase it through the MAS. But there were no major functional differences between the original and Boom 2 to justify abandoning previous users. Nor was I even made aware of a discount offer, not that it would have mattered, I wouldn't be willing to support a developer that grubs around for extra money like they did.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Sometimes I check if the app is avalible from both sources. I'm 50/50 on where I purchase. But I did buy from global delight. I got the reduced upgrade price.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
You're right, I did purchase it through the MAS. But there were no major functional differences between the original and Boom 2 to justify abandoning previous users. Nor was I even made aware of a discount offer, not that it would have mattered, I wouldn't be willing to support a developer that grubs around for extra money like they did.

The info was published on their website, which is why I was aware of it.

As for the differences between the two versions, I felt they were worth the discounted upgrade myself, but that's a personal decision...

http://www.globaldelight.com/boom/features-comparison

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
and it does improve sound quality on Tidal, and Amazon Music.

No it doesn't. It adjusts frequency levels from badly recorded music to sound slightly less crappy [subjective] due either to compression [lossy audio codec IE mp3 128k] or dynamic compression [bad mastering].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I'm by no means an audiophile, mostly because it's almost impossible to be one in the day and age where idiots who think they're "remastering" are just cranking the volume to 11 on all the component tracks in an effort to cause as much latent distortion as possible with absolutely zero dynamic range.

Which is why I made my original post. Synthetic programs like this simply try to adjust certain frequency ranges to mimic [digitally and horribly] dynamic range. In short, instead of listening to a work of art, you're essentially trying to polish the proverbial . . . Feces.

PS: Someone actually USES Tidal?!?! Heh, who knew?

Reactions: casperes1996

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
No it doesn't. It adjusts frequency levels from badly recorded music to sound slightly less crappy [subjective] due either to compression [lossy audio codec IE mp3 128k] or dynamic compression [bad mastering].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I'm by no means an audiophile, mostly because it's almost impossible to be one in the day and age where idiots who think they're "remastering" are just cranking the volume to 11 on all the component tracks in an effort to cause as much latent distortion as possible with absolutely zero dynamic range.

Which is why I made my original post. Synthetic programs like this simply try to adjust certain frequency ranges to mimic [digitally and horribly] dynamic range. In short, instead of listening to a work of art, you're essentially trying to polish the proverbial . . . Feces.

PS: Someone actually USES Tidal?!?! Heh, who knew?

Hit the nail on the head

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I use it to boost bass on my imac.

works really well.

I would recommend it personally.

good to adjust output but dont whack volume up a distorts if too high.

boom caims to be able to get higher output volume, but DONT use it.
It is rubbish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.