Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolarCanoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
I have 2 iPhones, a 6S I like to use day to day and a 5C I like to use in the outdoors.

I switch the sim card back and forth on these phones quite often which I find really annoying, so I'm wondering if having the SIM Card cloned will work?

I'm with Rogers and I know cellular providers don't like you cloning sim cards but the 2 phones will never be used at once. My plan is to have one turned off while I'm using the other

Has anyone tried something like this and had any success?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Rogers I don't think you have to worry too much about.

Unless the law has changed, what you propose is illegal in Canada - no matter what purpose you are putting it to.
Canadian Criminal Code, sections 326 and 327:

http://www.lawyers.ca/statutes/criminal_code_of_canada_theft.htm

Theft of telecommunication service

326. (1) Every one commits theft who fraudulently, maliciously, or without colour of right,

(a) abstracts, consumes or uses electricity or gas or causes it to be wasted or diverted; or

(b) uses any telecommunication facility or obtains any telecommunication service.

Definition of "telecommunication"

(2) In this section and section 327, "telecommunication" means any transmission, emission or reception of signs, signals, writing, images or sounds or intelligence of any nature by wire, radio, visual or other electromagnetic system.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 287; 1974-75-76, c. 93, s. 23.

Possession of device to obtain telecommunication facility or service

327. (1) Every one who, without lawful excuse, the proof of which lies on him, manufactures, possesses, sells or offers for sale or distributes any instrument or device or any component thereof, the design of which renders it primarily useful for obtaining the use of any telecommunication facility or service, under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the device has been used or is or was intended to be used to obtain the use of any telecommunication facility or service without payment of a lawful charge therefor, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.

Section 327 says if you are caught with a device in your possession that "could" be used to steal telecommunications services (i.e. a phone with a modified IMEI), it's up to you to prove that you weren't using it to do so (i.e. reverse onus of proof: you are assumed to be guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent).

It's the same kind of wording in the law that would be used to arrest you for possession of burglary tools or carrying a prohibited weapon.

Source: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/imei-cloning-what-canadian-law-does-break-565151/#post11584703

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It really depends on the SIM card. I looked into this a few years back and to be honest it was a nightmare.

All the information is on google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.