Has anyone tried getting info. directly from Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thirty7alpha, Jan 27, 2011.

1. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

I decided I'd at least call my local Apple store and I also tried the Chat feature on the Apple website to see if they'd give any "hints" as to an imminent refresh of MBP.

....As expected, tight-lipped souls. Nothing. Good training of the droids!

:)

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Yes, people have tried this many, many, many, many times before.

As always, Apple employees, who fear for their jobs, give away nothing.

3. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

They are tight lipped because they dont know!

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

And in this case they give away nothing because they know nothing.

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Fair enough.

But there would be lots of people who would know at least something. Like there would be people at Intel who know what Sandy Bridge processors are being sent to Apple. People at either AMD or NVIDIA who would know what GPU will be used. There are people in China assembling the MBPs that would have an idea when Apple will have enough stock to start selling them. And there would be people at Apple resellers who would know when the refresh was imminent, as they would have boxes with "Do not open until --/--" on them arriving at their store.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yeah, I asked the clerk at the gas station if he knew where ExxonMobil was drilling their next well. He was tight-lipped, too. I also asked the guy at Blockbuster if he knew who was winning the Academy Award for best picture this year. He was tight-lipped, too. I guess it's not just Apple! :rolleyes:

7. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

The employees at the store level usually find out about new products at the same time that we do, and sometimes even after. They really don't know any more than all of us.

8. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Yup! Working rats don't know when to stop until they see the cheese.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Everybody knows that Sandy Bridge processors will be sent to Apple, just like everybody knows that the MBPs will eventually be updated. The question is "when"- and very few people are privy to that information.
    I don't see how that's meaningful. A stock of "one" is enough to start selling them, isn't it?

They don't necessarily know what's in the boxes.

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I would be very interested to know how many dual core and quad core CPUs Apple are getting, and what GPUs. If the update is rubbish, it doesn't matter to me when it happens.

Potentially, but how often does Apple do silent updates (which the MBPs are almost certain to be) which require a waiting list? Apple always have plenty to dish out to the initial purchase rush. So, it could be assumed that if Apple only has a few thousand finished products, an update might still be a week or two away.

If it's a number of large, heavy boxes, it's unlikely to be anything else.

11. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

ha its not good training its a lack of information given to them.. They probably tell you "well, i cant talk about this with the customer" and they are right they cant because they would have no clue what to say.

12. zodqyv macrumors regular

Oh, they know! They know!

They read MacRumors. :)