Has anyone tried Ghost Armor on the Iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Lifetimechaldo, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Lifetimechaldo macrumors member

I have had Ghost Armor on my GSI for 3 years now, and it has worked great. I am going to be upgrading to the Iphone 5 as soon as verizon gets some in stock.

I really do not want to have a case. The reason i waited and did not get a 4S a year ago was b/c of the durability issues. I rarely if ever drop my phone anyway.

I was just wondering how Ghost Armor looks/Feels on the phone. Does it ruin the shene on the back? Does it make it feel like plastic and not metal? Does it make the screen look worse?

If the answer is Yes to any of these, then i will prob bite the bullet and get a clear thin case (any recomendatinons?)

Thanks for the help

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What I do not like about either Ghost Armor or InvisibleShield is that it creates this orange peel lumpy effect on the phone. It also peels off very easily. What I suggest is that you just do what I did:

-For front protection, a simple clear screen protector. These generally come in packs of 3.

-A $12 clear case from Amazon. Sure scratches WILL show up on this case, but just replace the $12 case every 6 months and you should be good to go.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Have it on my screen right now. Looks great. Worked well on my 4S and same with my iPad 2.

EDIT: in response to the above poster Ghost Armor does not have said orange peel effect and neither do the Invisible Shield HD's.

5. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

^ Does it make your back/screen loook or feel different at all?

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Nope. Like someone said above, you don't even notice it's on. Feels like the actual screen and is crystal clear. Plus, Ghost Armor does free replacements at their kiosks or by mail (i'd assume) if you're not satisfied or something is wrong.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If that's the case, I hope to find someone who does GhostArmor in my area. It's tough, every mall stand here does Zagg

8. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

So, even with it on, you cant tell that there is plastic over the aluminum?

That is really my main concern.

It feels like plastic on my GSI, thought idk if that is b/c of the ghoast armor or b/c the GSI just has a very plasticy feel to it

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

I don't have it on the back (only the front) so I can't really say.

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The Ghost Armor doesn't have the orange peel.

11. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

How does it feel on the back?

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

i have the matte rear, slight roughness to it. Feels nice.

It does have orange peel. Though, its not as bad as Zagg and still looks very good.

13. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, as far as orange peel goes, i dont see any on mine on my GSI, but i get it replaced about once every 3 months to keep it looking clear

14. cazzster macrumors newbie

I have the Ghost Armor (clears) on the back of my 5. The cut-outs actually fit well around the rear camera and led flash. The middle piece fits perfectly along the aluminum. The pieces covering the glass fall slightly short, but cover a great portion on each. From judging by the pics of the Spigen back protector on-line, GA seems to have a better coverage on the cut-out pieces.
    It's looks shiny, but not overly, and it feels smooth. It's too smooth, that I'm on the hunt for a super thin case to complement the Iphone 5 (aviiq ultra thin, Spigen Ultra Air) I recommend it for protection and that it adds re-sale value (protecting from scratches). The other thing is with the Invisishield i.e. Zagg, it's prone to lifting and trapping dirt,dust underneath. The GA is thin and seems to be holding well on my 5.
    BTW, I have the Glas.T on the front. Nothing like tempered glass! :)
    Better to go with some protection than go completely nude :D

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

The back looks a little glossy with the skin on

16. Iphone 2.2 macrumors member

Here is mine and you can barely tell its their.

Attached Files:

17. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You must have a different version. Mine isn't orange peel even a little bit.

18. Che Castro macrumors 603

Mine is starting to get black smudges in the back

Maybe is the pouch I'm using

But cleaning it doesn't remove it

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes. They send different versions of their iPhone 5 skins to different regions of the US. :rolleyes:

20. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys! Anyone else wanna chime in?

21. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

was going to dry to my local mall to get GA for my iphone5 since i cant stand a case .. but i really dont want orange peel

22. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

23. minmallymint macrumors newbie

I got ghost armor put on my iPhone 5 two weeks ago and so far it has held up real well. I havent seen any orange or any peeling. Its great and I absolutley love it. I got matte on the sides and back and clear on the front. The matte gives a greate texture to keep a good hold onto the phone. The matte feels similar (not the same but similar) to the aluminum. If you go to any ghost armor kiosk in a mall the people will have examples of the different coverings to show you.

24. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

well just got mine GA'd .. i wanted full clear but they told me that they dont even carry that anymore because its a major pain to install so i got matte back and clear front ..

not very happy at all .. the back matte was either cut too think or put on wrong .. it doesnt cover the full back .. there is space on one side .. also dust under the back and sides .. front is alright

i guess i had a really bad installer but i honestly think im going to take it off

25. azwildcat8888 macrumors newbie

DON'T Buy Ghost Armor

Worst case I've ever put on my iphone 5. I thought Invisible Shield was bad. Ghost Armor is worse. You've been warned. This stuff is garbage and not at all worth the money.

----------

I forgot to mention in my last post that if anyone wants a pic of what has happened to my case (full body) after just 12 days, let me know and I will happily email you why you DON'T want this on your phone. This is after they replaced it 4 times at no additional cost. WHAT A BUNCH OF TOOLS. The district manager Theo Romo is a LOSER and shouldn't be managing anything! Don't buy.