Has anyone tried liquid armor...

apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Portugal
in the back and sides of the iPhone 5? I know its specialy for glass and they don't recommend for metal or plastic but what about the materials of this iPhone?

Do you think it would work on the back also?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
in the back and sides of the iPhone 5? I know its specialy for glass and they don't recommend for metal or plastic but what about the materials of this iPhone?

Do you think it would work on the back also?
Amazon has this (poorly written) review

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-armor-...sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The nature of this item means you shouldn't be able to see it, and being able to take off, and/or having to repeat process at six months intervals (at best) of re-applying LA, also indicates that it's not nuclear grade depleted uranium hard shell. This actually has a couple meanings then, first, doing this to my IPhone 5 that arrived an hour after this meant I was pretty apprehensive about the possibility of ruining the best screen in the business, which wouldn't be covered because I put "what on it again?" I can hear them asking now, so the fact it can come off with a little work had me feeling better about applying it .
So, with the IPhone5 (or any phone, but the plasticky phones, you know who you are, I don't know how this would work, we're talking about glass here) the size makes the application hard to tell you did it right, I made circular motions first time then remembered it said do straight lines, the micro cloths they provide are some of the best I've ever seen, top notch, it was on my Ipad3 I discovered how hard it is, by way of it drying so quickly, waste no time on larger surfaces, read directions, it may be in my head, but I think I feel the hard shell, and it sure does make it shine. The new iPhone back with aluminum are supposed to scratch easy, so I hard coated whole phone, for back and front I spayed directly on, then spread it, you want to have finished polishing by 20 seconds, work quickly, I like it, prolly use it once a month, I should keep it nice, and it's not like the crappy peel on, I hate them, always take away from screen, not this, I hope it last, and works as good As I feel it does now.

Scoop24

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
New York
i put it on my iphone 5 . so far so good my screen is perfect.. ni did take a key to it just to see and it worked perfect not one scratch..

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
My God! The things people put onto and do to their iPhones.
Some people don't want to scratch their phone... my wife has had an iPhone 4 for only 2 months or so now... already scratched the crap out of her screen and yes she has a case.

SMH :rolleyes:

I'm buying some so that her phone can actually last 2 years.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
This is not a good test. No control. He should have coated half and left the other half uncoated and then performed the test. How so we know the glass itself didn't prevent the scratches.
Then again, if the product was really doing its job, in this case he would have been screwed out of an iPhone 5. Sort of counterproductive if you ask me. I see what you mean though.

Smigit

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Then again, if the product was really doing its job, in this case he would have been screwed out of an iPhone 5.
Could start by testing it on something that isn't an iphone? Find some kitchenware or something that will likely scratch and use that. If it works move up to the iPhone, if not think twice about it.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
This is not a good test. No control. He should have coated half and left the other half uncoated and then performed the test. How so we know the glass itself didn't prevent the scratches.
I have some Amazon Credit so I bought one today for 21 dollars. Probably will receive it on Saturday.

Here's hoping or they're getting a return.

Found a whole bunch of other reviews BTW. One person had a control (two sheets of standard glass) and a quick buff many of the scratches went away from the sheet he coated with the Liquid Armor. The glass he used is softer than Gorilla Glass, he also did not put the stuff down very thick. 2 sprays for a sheet of 7 inch (ish) glass. Seems it's a good medium protect-ant but he said he wasn't putting it on his phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvWHWi20SgM - It's kind of boring by the way... FFWD through the bulk of it.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Any news?! :)
Best $20 polish and shammy ever! Boy does my screen shine! Also the back of my iPod Touch looks Shiny-riffic!

Won't protect your phone from a paper cut. At least that's how I feel after applying it. But maybe I did it wrong.

Also it doesn't attract any less dust or fingerprints as some have stated. Definitely useless on the aluminum as it kind of sucks it right up and doesn't leave any sort of protective film like in some videos.

It does leave a nice smell though. It smells of rubbing alcohol at first but later has a pleasant sweet scent... the smell does not stick on the phone though.

Needless to say. I sent it back.

Koebot

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
This stuff is nothing more than polymer sealant. You can get the same thing at your local auto parts store. It does resist stains and water on the surface but won't do much for scratches.

mvparker79

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
apple.fan, did you have any success with applying the liquid armor to the backside of the iPhone 5 (on to the anodized aluminum)?

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
apple.fan has not posted since Dec 26, 2012. Good idea to check that before reviving an 8 month old thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.