Has anyone tried removing scratches from SS Apple Watch screen?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mehrshadr, Oct 13, 2017.

1. mehrshadr macrumors newbie

mehrshadr

my SS Apple Watch has gotten some scratches on it's sapphire screen. i've done some searching for sapphire scratch removal and found some tools for that but it seems nobody has ever tried one of these things. is there anyone in this forum who has done scratch removal things from Apple Watch's sapphire screen? thanks

2. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

It’s more likely that the scratches are on the oleophobic coating that’s applied to the sapphire screen to reduce smearing from the natural oils in the skin. Have a look at this:
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207578

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Just on a sidenote, over time, the oleophobic coating does wear off, as it's naturally organic. And the OP never stated how old the Apple Watch is (Meaning if the coating is likely worn off) and how deep the scratches are. The sapphire is very difficult to scratch, although it can. If the display is scratched, there are very few remedies that are successful in the sense of restoring it, if at all pending the severity of the scratches.

4. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Hey lets put something that adds cost and is less scratch resistant on top of sapphire. It aint on there.

5. meikdunj macrumors regular

My series 0 had a few scratches on the shapphire, tried polishing out with rubbing compounds without any success! Never really noticed them after a while, just annoying when it first happens.

6. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would say this is the easiest method. Mainly being the Sport model display scratching, many have applied screen protectors to hide the scratches, which it does a fairly good job of.

8. Neo1975 macrumors 6502

See my thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scratches-on-apple-watch-sport-screen.2076827/

I am keen to try, I have received the polishing compound and felt bobbin for a Dremmel. I have been put off a little, I don’t want to ruin my watch.

In the meantime I purchased this https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/401409921638 and applied it today. I have to say, I am very impressed. There is a slight orange peel look in part of the screen, but it’s barely noticeable. The scratches are now not visible at all. I might experiment removing a scratch on an old normal watch first.

9. Neo1975, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017