Has anyone tried restoring the oleophobic coating.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rick98761, Mar 20, 2015.

1. rick98761 macrumors 6502

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Nope. How did you scratch your screen? I literally throw my phone around here and there and have only minor scratches on the aluminum, none on the screen though. Same went for the iPhone 5S, the 5, the 4. Watch, now that I said this, I'll scratch it.

3. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I have an old iPhone 4 in desperate need of this. But theres no way in hell i'm paying that much. A tempered glass screen protector with oleophobic coating is a fraction of the price.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I just use my phone and do not look for these tiny scratches. More to do than worrying about stuff like that. My phone is just a great tool.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I use one of these on my iphone 6 Plus.

Carrying out trying to replace the coating onto an iPhone shouts of disaster to me. I'm not that patient or DIY minded ! #

6. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

I honesty don't know. I keep it in a pants pocket all by itself all the time, with an apple leather case. My job can be fairly physical at times though, so I could see that possibly having something to do with it. These are so minor they only show up in bright light. More of just an annoyance. If I can get them out for $25 great, if not oh well.

----------

Thanks for the non help. They are slightly annoying to me. If I can reapply this coating every few months for a minor amount of money I will.

----------

For what it is worth I posted this on the Apple reddit and a few people chimed in that they had and it was easy and worked great.