Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Has anyone tried something similar to this guide? My iPhone 6+ has quite a few micro scratches in the screen. I am pretty sure they are just in the coating. I'd like to give this a shot, but I don't know how safe it is.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+apply+anti-fingerprint+oleophobic+coating/9682

Nope. How did you scratch your screen? I literally throw my phone around here and there and have only minor scratches on the aluminum, none on the screen though. Same went for the iPhone 5S, the 5, the 4. Watch, now that I said this, I'll scratch it.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I have an old iPhone 4 in desperate need of this. But theres no way in hell i'm paying that much. A tempered glass screen protector with oleophobic coating is a fraction of the price.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I have an old iPhone 4 in desperate need of this. But theres no way in hell i'm paying that much. A tempered glass screen protector with oleophobic coating is a fraction of the price.

I use one of these on my iphone 6 Plus.

Carrying out trying to replace the coating onto an iPhone shouts of disaster to me. I'm not that patient or DIY minded ! #

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Nope. How did you scratch your screen? I literally throw my phone around here and there and have only minor scratches on the aluminum, none on the screen though. Same went for the iPhone 5S, the 5, the 4. Watch, now that I said this, I'll scratch it.

I honesty don't know. I keep it in a pants pocket all by itself all the time, with an apple leather case. My job can be fairly physical at times though, so I could see that possibly having something to do with it. These are so minor they only show up in bright light. More of just an annoyance. If I can get them out for $25 great, if not oh well.

----------

I just use my phone and do not look for these tiny scratches. More to do than worrying about stuff like that. My phone is just a great tool.

Thanks for the non help. They are slightly annoying to me. If I can reapply this coating every few months for a minor amount of money I will.

----------

I use one of these on my iphone 6 Plus.

Carrying out trying to replace the coating onto an iPhone shouts of disaster to me. I'm not that patient or DIY minded !

For what it is worth I posted this on the Apple reddit and a few people chimed in that they had and it was easy and worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.