Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Correcting something I said earlier:

There was a patch released for Portal 2 which improved performance with MSAA, and the 5870 now has a higher frame rate than the 6970M in that same test. So, it may not have been the VRAM bottlenecking it.

hipnotizer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
After having my imac for a whole week now and testing out many games and benchmarks. I can say that the 6970m is a beast.

Two worlds 2 for steam on mac looks amazing! Like really amazing. Plays in full settings with all special effects enabled at 2560 x 1440 smooth as butter. If you like oblivion, you may like two worlds 2. The story is hokey as all get out and the voice acting is somewhat laughable but it seems to not take itself that seriously. It is jaw dropping and quite addictive to level up your character and play the 300 quests in the game. 70 hours of entertainment for $49.99 is a good deal considering going to the movies costs $13 in canada and that is only for 2 hours of entertainment.

Portal 2 looks and runs smooth as well and I have run the unigene demos tropico, sanctuary and heaven. The unigene demos all have around 33 frames per second in the benchmark at 2560 x 1440 with all effects enabled except aa.

All in all I feel that the 6970m is a formidable gaming machine and I am extremely happy with my purchase. I get to enjoy the world of mac while also playing a game here and there with great quality in boot camp.

Downloading the witcher 2 now!!

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I just played Age of Conan on my imac, a visually demanding game, and it was quite smooth. No issues. Maxed settings. Native rez.

That's better than my 460gtx 768mb can do at 1920x1200.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I like some of the link given in this thread , they essentially prove what I've been saying all along about the iMac being under served in graphics ram compared to the screen size.

I still wish they offered a 1Gb option for the small screen iMac .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.