Has anyone tried the new DELL 3008?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by carnacious, Mar 20, 2008.

1. carnacious macrumors newbie

I am now bored with waiting for a new ACD, I see no signs that it is due anytime soon and have therefore looked around at the opposition.
    The most tempting is Dell's 3008 WFP, which is on DELL UK for £1350 inc VAT. I like the thought that I can run a MP and MBP without having to unscrew the leads each time as it has 2 dual DVI slots. The addition of HDMI and therefore the ability to use this monitor for other things is especially tempting and not an option that I can see Apple offering even when the ACD's are upgraded.
    Has anyone got any experience of this monitor on the 2008 mac pro or even the MBP?

2. raincoat macrumors member

raincoat

3008wfp with Mac Pro (early 2008) 2.8GHz

I have used this combo for several months now. The screen is a thing of beauty.

I have had some issues with startup; sometimes if the screen is not turned on first or if it is in standby mode, the computer does not recognize the screen and nothing appears for a long time.

Secondly, on occasion, the screen will start up at low resolution. this is soon remedied by going into preferences>displays and switching resolution a couple of times.

With the massive shortage of 3008wfp displays, there does not seem to be much in the way of experience on the web at the moment. I found when i cleaned the display that the panel moves away from the frame. I'm not sure if that is how it is supposed to be or not. Otherwise the screen is perfect so i don't see any point in getting it exchanged.

Have a look on eBay for EricBunny. This is where i got my display for a very reasonable price and is a reliable seller.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have any further questions.

3. DaveOZ macrumors regular

Just hooked up a Dell 3008 to my MacPro and I'm having the same issue. Makes it hard to see the boot menu!!

Anybody find a solution for this?

4. ceres macrumors regular

There should be a Mac Mode menu item. AFAIK, it modifies white balance but there may be more to it.