Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I'm sure theres a thread on this around somewhere. I imagine it'd be good for grabbing samples in the field - just your iBook/PowerBook and your mic, but I wouldnt trust it as my only mic. I'm not sure how much power USB can throw down the cable towards the mic.

Why? Because in my opinion you'll end up with a better sound using a nice mic plugged into a nice preamp plugged into a nice soundcard. Of course thats about as portable as a breezeblock, so its not ideal for mobile use.

All that being said, I'd really like to investigate this mic, as if its of comparible quality to a Rode NT2 (i.e. budget but nice enough sounding), then I'd like to invest in one for the odd location recording session.

This made me giggle:
Download the C01U Driver Software for Mac OS X here (Version 1.0.6 - 1.2 MB)

Windows Driver Software coming soon. Email C01Udriver@samsontech.com to be notified when it's available for download.
Its usually always the other way round with audio stuff :)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
USB can't support the kind of amps needed to provide stable operation of USB interfaces generally, which is why most buss-powered pre-amps are a bit sucky, that said, they do work, and there's no reason to think this won't.

What it'll sound like is another matter, the mic itself is a version of a nice model that Samson have been selling for a while, sort of like a smoother version of the Oktava MK219.

jamesbennington

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2006
Samson C01U

I had the Samson connected to my laptop pc before I got my mac and it works nicely. I was using Cubase SE. It is quite sensitive so you will want to make your recording environment as recording friendly as possible or you'll end up with a fair amount of noise in your recording. My problem now is that my mac won't see that I have a usb mic plugged in when I run cubase. If anyone knows how I can make cubase accept my mic that would be awesome!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
jamesbennington said:
My problem now is that my mac won't see that I have a usb mic plugged in when I run cubase. If anyone knows how I can make cubase accept my mic that would be awesome!
the mods kindly made you your own thread, and i've kindly responded. let's carry on there.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
To the OP:

I've been wondering this myself recently. Only because of the fact that if you wan't to get something down without setting up mic positions etc etc it's a useful tool.

If you go here (Sound On Sound Forum) they're discussing the usefullness of such an item directly.

I've read many reports of sensitivity issues : basically the voltage of the USB isn't really enough (or limited) to support a really high sensitivity device...at least thats what Ive read.

krazykiefer

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
Do Not Buy Samson C01u Usb

I'm a newbie podcaster. Dropped $130 on eBay for Samson CO1U USB podcaster kit. The hiss is UNBEARABLE!!!

Even more maddening, I came to find a great podcast and they used that exact model. It was in a case study on how hiss can ruin your production:mad:

Check out Big O's podcast. The part on the Samson product is not till the very end. http://www.technofodder.com/?p=11

Anyway I STRONGLY suggest looking at other products. He mentions Behringer Podcast Kit. I am checking into it.

Oh and don't throw out any boxes till you are sure you like what you buy. I wish I did.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.