Has anyone tried the noname ram from Ebay?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Buskape, May 1, 2009.

1. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Hi

After a couple months of the ram upgrading issues for the MacBook Unibody, i am asking if anyone has tried buying the cheap no name ram off ebay (link)

And if they had any issues with it? i dont know if i should order these or get from a different brand like mushkin or corsair?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why take the chance? Crucial or Newegg are only a few bucks more and very reliable.

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

I agree. Your chances with non-name eBay RAM are 50:50. It might even work in the beginning but RAM shows its colour long term.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Let's see .. either buy the Crucial RAM now, or buy the Ebay RAM and then the Crucial later.

Which option is cheaper now?

5. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I just ordered ram from New Egg. They have a great deal here. Plus it's Crucial. Mine should be here on Monday.

Enjoy

6. Buskape thread starter macrumors 6502

Buskape

Thanks guys, i'am going to order from Crucial (didn't know that website), as newegg doesn't ship to switzerland, saves me alot of money and time! :D

I hope everything will be ok!

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Hate to tell you, but Crucial ram has a known incompatibility issue with unibody Macs. I had to return mine for a refund. Do a search on here or the Apple forums and you'll see tons of people complaining about issues after installing 3rd party ram. This is the email they sent me:

8. Sareth macrumors member

It seems to be a lottery regardless of brand.

9. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Those modules in the auction are listed as being made by "Micron" the company that owns Crucial.....

10. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

The PowerPC Macs used to be very fussy with RAM. The Intel's less so.

That said, the stuff is so cheap these days, I stick with branded.

11. Boston Fan macrumors member

Boston Fan

Thanks for that tip! :)

I have been keeping an eye on that very RAM from newegg, and the free shipping combined with the first time drop below $50 made me pull the trigger.

12. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

The Crucial RAM is the way to go. I've used nothing but Crucial memory in all the MacBooks at work since 2007 and haven't had a single memory issue, aside from 2GB not being enough memory in the older intel macbooks :)

13. yaroldb macrumors 6502

My memory from Crucial came yesterday. I installed and and have been using my Macbook Pro for a few hours. I'll watch it closely for the next few days. From what I hear it is hit or miss with this ram. Let's hope for the best. I'll keep you guys updated...

14. Buskape thread starter macrumors 6502

Buskape

I ordered from Crucial on Saturday and received them yesterday, so far no problems, i'll let you guys know if anything goes wrong..

Thanks all!