Has anyone tried the Solid State Hybrid Drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itdungeon, May 17, 2012.

1. itdungeon macrumors newbie

I am looking to replace my current HDD in my mid 2010 15" MBP with a Seagate ST750LX003 Momentus XT 750GB Solid State Hybrid Drive - 750GB, SATA 6Gb/s, 7200RPM, 32M, 2.5". Wondering if anyone has tried these and if they are worth the money. Amazon has them for $139.00.

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I considered it but in the end went with an SSD. It gets really great reviews and a friend of mine has the 500GB version in his MB and swears by it. It does give a noticeable increase in loading some apps and what not. I would say if you need a lot of space but still want an SSD experience then pull the trigger.

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Same here. I hd the 500gb version and was pleased with the improvement over the standard HDD. Used it for a few months and replaced it with an SSD. Put the XT in my sons 13" MBP and it's working just fine.

4. itdungeon thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good to hear. Thank You. I was reading reviews and they did get very good ones. Seemed most of the reviews were MBP users as well. I am ordering it. :D

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

If you really need the space go for it because you won't see a SSD at that pricing for a while.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've used one and I did like it, ended up going to an SSD after all. It's an affordable way to get the speed of an SSD but the space of a standard HDD. I would not hesitate buying another if I needed one.

7. simplydat macrumors member

Go for it! I recently purchased a Momentus XT 750GB for my Windows Desktop. It works amazing! You will not regret it.

8. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

I've been running the 750GB Seagate Momentus XT for about 3 months and it has worked flawlessly.

9. Jimbogiant macrumors member

Same here, bought mine in March and have had no issues whatsoever; very quick boots and app opens, didn't have to give up any storage space (or take out my ODD).

James

10. itdungeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I ordered it. Sounds like overall its a good choice. Ty for all the responses.
    I really don't need the space because I do use an external as well, but I like the option of having it when I don't have my external with me and really, the price just seems to good to pass up for the boost in performance.

11. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I had the older 500Gb (4Gb cache) model in my imac for few months, and it did feel faster than the stock 1Gb hard drive.

One thing to note is if you boot into Bootcamp than the cache content is reset, so you have to build up the most used apps into cache again. At lest this was happening with my old model, maybe the new one has improved in this department.

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Even if you don't get improvement from the flash memory, you will from having a 7200RPM drive instead of the stock drive. And as a bonus, it consumes less power so the battery life should be slightly better.

When I bought my MacBook Pro a couple months ago, I ordered this drive at the same time because I had a good (if not great) experience with the older 500GB model on my previous MacBook.

13. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm using that drive right now. It's faster then regular 7200RPM drives even with bootcamp that resets the cache is still faster then regular 7200RPM drives.