Has anyone tried this? HDD Caddy Tray from Amazon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PinoyAko, Feb 14, 2013.

1. robvas macrumors 68020

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

It works I guess, but I prefer an actual caddy.
    I heard some stories of people hearing noises from their computer because of unstable caddy.

I personally recommend MCE Optibay.

3. jchase2057 macrumors regular

4. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I have that caddy, though I got it from eBay, not Amazon. I'm gonna drop some knowledge on you here... they all come from the same factories in China. :)

It works perfectly fine. People with unstable caddies must have botched the installation and/or not used all the screws. Of you install it correctly (which is simple to do) the thing is rock solid. I've never had an issue. Don't waste your money on OWC's overpriced "luxury" caddies. That's a good general rule to follow for every product, not just optical bay caddies.

5. robvas macrumors 68020

The caddy you get from OWC is not the same as the ones you buy on eBay. And good luck sending back or getting support from a $15 one you buy from China.

6. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I was referring to every other caddy you see that looks identical to the one the OP linked on Amazon. They're all the same. And what do you need support for a hard drive caddy for? You plug in a hard drive and screw in the caddy. Do you buy $80 HDMI cables from Monster for their "support?" A HD caddy is just a SATA cable inside an enclosure. It's not exactly rocket science. :p

7. robvas macrumors 68020

When it doesn't work because the 10 year old kid that put it together put a part in backwards? When you screw holes don't line up because nobody QC's anything?

8. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

This isn't a complex component man, lol. They've been pumping these things out for years. It's a stable, proven product. I know you're angry that you spent way too much money on overpriced garbage, but don't take it out on me! It's not my fault that I make better decisions. :)

9. PinoyAko thread starter macrumors 6502

I am a 31 year old guy.

10. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Yep, it'll work. Though I prefer the OWC Data Doubler myself, though it's pricey...

11. xiesanshao macrumors newbie

xiesanshao

It is always marketing, just like the HDMI cable. And the 10 (most likely 20) years old kid in China usually did a better job than 50 year old in states (if there is one).

12. Jeffhurd macrumors newbie

Im currently using a DataDouble in my 13inch MBP with no issues. Solid feel to it, no movement inside at all. As far as I can tell you mostly all caddies are the same **** i could be wrong though.