Has anyone tried to replace home internet with their tethering option?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unlimitedx, Aug 24, 2010.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

How has that worked for you? What speed is your 3g?

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Tried but the speed of my home internet is still way faster than what I get with the iPhone 4....

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Ha, in my area my tethering download speed is pretty slow compared to my home internet, but my upload speed via the iPhone blows Roadrunner Turbo out of the water (now that they fixed it).

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

3G doesn't even begin to compare to my home internet speeds. Not a valid option.

5. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

If all you do is web browsing... and email... no youtube and no downloading files over ~10MB then tethering will work fine for home internet.

If you're doing more than that then you'll probably have QoS issues

6. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Wouldn’t it be easier to just say, “tethering is way too slow to be a permanent solution, even for the simplest of users."

7. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

My internet was out for the last few days so I had to use tethering. It wasn't terrible but the ping was so high that I couldn't play any games and it was too slow to load more than one web page at a time.

8. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think this would be the way of the future, having phones be able to provide adequate internet connection to replace home internet.

But, I would think AT&T would not want that to be the case and cannibalize their profits.

9. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't it be easier to not post instead of being a jack ass?

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Right now I'm getting 6Mbps download speed with my DSL, and I think in the next two weeks were going to switch to a provider that offers 12Mbps speeds.

Currently we have 3 dektop computers, 1 MacBook, an iPad, 2 Apple TV's, a PS3 and XBOX 360 and several iPhones/iPod touch's all being used on a daily basis in my house. I get 2Mbps download speeds on my iPhone and I can only tether to 1 computer at a time (not including the iPod touch or iPad), I'm not giving up my home router any time soon.

11. Tee Hee macrumors member

Home internet is still WAAAAAAY better.

Even places that I would actually use my laptop in(airport, school, hotels) have wifi for free.

Better off making wifi more available if you ask me.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Typical Cable and ADSL type connections are still much better than 3G.

If however, your connection speed is slow, then a tethering option might be a good solution. Personally, I would rather go with a Pocket MiFi or something similar.

13. Mellofello808 macrumors member

I am in the process of renovating a, fixer upper, condo that I purchased. The place is an hour from home, so I have started sleeping there a few nights a week to expedite the renovation. I have been using tethering exclusively for the past month up here and it works perfect. I actually subscribed to the cheapest DSL package when I first got the keys but I found that MYWI over usb is sufficient for browsing, and even a little light streaming. Glad that I held onto my unlimited data package, because I will probably be near 5 gigs by the end of the month.

Will it replace my 14mbps DSL at home. No

Is it passible for those on a budget, or someone who has access to a higher speed most of the time? Absolutely.

I hope that ATT speeds have increased on Cape Cod so that I can cancel my internet there as well.

I hope to one day be able to just have one device will be fast enough to power all my broadband needs. With LTE around the corner then that day could be soon.

14. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

because thats the complete opposite of what he said?

15. Moe UK macrumors regular

Tethering replace home internet?

No chance, how would you download Windows updates, iOS upgrades, new versions of other apps, stream VOD.

I am sure it is fine if your net connection goes down or are away for a few days but not for a permanent solution.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When I moved, I tried that for like 2 months before I broken down and just paid for the fastest broadband I could find.

The latency via 3G is the killer. Speeds are alright.

However 3G is still my backup. I mean if the power goes out and my UPS dies as well, then I'll still need to fall back onto the 3G. When that 3G happens I'm glad I have internet still.

17. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I'm moving soon and won't have access to anything besides satellite internet. Fortunately, I get 2-3 bars 3G so I will have to tether and be forced back to 'light' browsing for a while. :(

I've speedtested the 3G there and I get roughly 2.6up/1.6down. It's decent, although I haven't tried to tether there yet.

18. Meyvn macrumors 6502

I thought about it. Then I learned I could get 20 Mbps for 20 bucks a month where I live. It was a no-brainer.

19. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It might be the way of the future. The problem with the future is that it isn't here yet.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not going to happen until wireless speeds reach fast home speeds. How I would love to only pay one company for Internet access.

21. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

sometimes you just have to ignore morons. It makes life way easier.