has anyone triple-partitioned and dual booted a macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheNorthWaves, Jan 18, 2008.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

I am stuck with needing windows for some stuff - let's not get into that - I have to run windows, against my will.

Logically it makes sense to format the disk in leopard with 3 partitions (one for Mac OS, one for vista, and one for shared data) and people have acknowledged that this is possible - BUT...

Has anybody DONE THIS? And can you report back to me with how you did it? I don't want to buy a laptop only to find out that dual booting OSX/vista is not ideal.

Thank you so much

2. ///alpinepower macrumors member

but you don't have the laptop.

3. bluelight macrumors member

A little off topic, but what kind of shared data are we talking about?

If all of your documents in Vista are compatible in Mac OS X, and all of your Mac OS X documents are compatible in Vista, then there really is only the need for one operating system. Consider that, and maybe you won't have to worry about triple partitioning... which I think is a bit of a stretch.

4. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have the laptop because I'm not buying it until I know if this will work. That's like a $1400 mistake if it doesn't. I have to run MS Windows for some crap at my school - like I said, I can't get around it. I would much rather use OSX than Windows - this really isn't under my control. I just want to put my personal data (powerpoints, word docs, etc) in a partition that both platforms can read/write to without problems or having to duplicate all my data.

5. bluelight macrumors member

Office 2008 for Mac has a variety of save options. At least one of them will be compatible with the computers at your school.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

Get MacDrive, install it on windows, you can now read/write to your Leopard partition

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Just get Parallels or Fusion and do it that way.

8. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I will be buying the new 8 core Mac Pro with an NVIDIA GeForce 8800Gt and partioning the system with windows. I can't decide which version of windows to install: XP or Vista. The reason is I"m not sure if Flight Simulator 2004 runs on Windows Vista. So I want to know if I can partition 2 Windows drives using bootcamp: ONE FOR VISTA and 1 FOR XP. Is this possible... please help i need advice:eek::apple::apple::):apple::apple:

9. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

what are parallels/fusion?
    Again, it's not an office documents thing. I *have to run windows*. Not for myself, for my school. I am trying to break into the mac world.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Parallels and fusion allow you to run windows at the same time as OS X. However, neither are free.

11. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I did try the other night but I needed to make an ASR image of my HDD, I had no idea how to. I did get as far as partitioning the drive into three. There are guides if you goggle it. I am waiting for my firewire HDD then will try it again. If I could only figure out hoe to save my HDD as a ASR image partition, then restore my image to the mac partition and then instal XP and Vista.