Has anyone upgraded from 4gb to 6gb ram?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by auhlixer, May 13, 2009.

1. auhlixer macrumors regular

I have a 2.4ghz MacBook that I run Fusion on for AutoCad and on the OS X side of this gets bogged down.

Also know that having a 2gb/4gb combo will disable dual channel so those who have upgraded to 6gb have you seen a improvement and is it worth it?

Currently running Windoze 7 Ultimate 64bit for AutoCad 2010 64bit w/ 1gb ram allocated for it in VMWare w/ 3D turned off. This leaves me 3gb for OS X but i have to have Mail, RSS Reader and iTunes turned off.

Any suggestions?

2. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I'd say for your application, 6gb would be beneficial. The benefit of running dual channel is trumped if you're hitting swap files because you've got so much going on.

Here's a good read on running 6gb:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=607076

If you're considering going 6gb, I have a stick of 4gb pc2-5300 667MHz up for sale in the marketplace. I upgraded mine from 4gb to 6gb, which is perfect. Before the upgrade, I was really getting close to my max (running VM, mail, safari, adium, & iTunes) but now I have more breathing room and things run more efficiently. Plus my fan doesn't come on nearly as much, which is an added bonus to my battery life :)

3. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

How does memory affect the fan speed that much?

4. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I'm guessing it's because my system isn't having to work as hard juggling everything when I'm running a lot of applications at the same time (since all my memory isn't tied up anymore). You can never have too much memory!