Has anyone upgraded from 4gb to 6gb ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by auhlixer, May 14, 2009.

1. auhlixer macrumors regular

I have a 2.4ghz MacBook that I run Fusion on for AutoCad and on the OS X side of this gets bogged down.

Also know that having a 2gb/4gb combo will disable dual channel so those who have upgraded to 6gb have you seen a improvement and is it worth it?

Currently running Windoze 7 Ultimate 64bit for AutoCad 2010 64bit w/ 1gb ram allocated for it in VMWare w/ 3D turned off. This leaves me 3gb for OS X but i have to have Mail, RSS Reader and iTunes turned off.

Any suggestions?

2. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Honestly, for AutoCAD word, you ought you install Windows natively and just boot to it when needing AutoCAD. Fusion is a great program, but AutoCAD is pretty intense to be running virtually, you'd see a great performance increase in just installing Vista as an alternate OS. Plus, that's free, and 4GB DDR3 RAM chips are quite expensive still.

No matter how much RAM I allocate to my VM, VMWare takes up more than that and it ends up bogging down my system as well.

3. auhlixer thread starter macrumors regular

I've done the bootcamp thing but have lost hard drives 2 different times from it :(

4. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

why? i install bootcamp all the time just to play around the delete it and i have never lost any data, besides the windows side.

5. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

Why don't u try emailing crucial for their advice? Just a thought...

6. auhlixer thread starter macrumors regular

probably just gonna build a windoze pc and setup a raid i can use for timemachine and kill 2 birds with one stone