Has anyone used a Flip?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by godslabrat, Mar 8, 2009.

1. godslabrat macrumors 6502

Hi all.

I've been looking for a way to take medium-quality SD video clips when carrying a full camcorder seems impractical. I tried using the video mode on my digital camera, and while it seems to serve the purpose, I have to wonder if there's a better solution. I saw the Flip, and initially dismissed it, thinking it probably wouldn't be any better, quality wise, than the digicam, but after seeing some great reviews and some sample clips, I'm giving it a second thought. This would primarily be a camera for when I'm backpacking, so the low price point is attractive since I want something that won't break my heart if it gets destroyed.

Questions:
    1-I've heard mixed things about the Mac support. Can you drag-and-drop files right from the camera, as in windows?

2-Does it drop frames or have sync issues?

3-Are the files of a reasonable quality that they could be edited in iMovie?

TIA.

2. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I have a Flip Mino and love it. Great Mac support with drag and drop, no dropping of frames or syncing issues, and great compatibility with iMovie.

Just remember to update the software on the camera before using it.

3. heron88 macrumors 6502

Yes I've used one. They are decent cameras for the price. For what your describing using it for, it should be just fine. The only thing I really dont like about it is how small the screen is. Its like 1 inch:D Other then that its cool though ;)