Has anyone used a STOP Security Plate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jer2eydevil88, Nov 14, 2007.

1. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

I just bought one of these
    https://stoptheft.com/site/products_security_plate.php

To put on my Macbook Pro to help me locate it if it ever stolen. Has anyone ever tried these before? I would like to know how the "ink" will hold up on the brushed aluminum of the Macbook Pro.

Thanks

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

i cant say i have tried this. However it looks amazing!

Nipz

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I does look amazing, though it would be interesting to see if it DOES hold up an brushed aluminum.

Though you should bear in mind, the resale value of any equipment you apply that sticker to will be zero if it does its job right. :)

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Why can't you just put another sticker over the top of it.

5. DataThief macrumors member

Pretty much the same thing I have installed on Government machines, only problem is I have seen the heat from laptops cause the label to start to peel off.

6. jer2eydevil88 thread starter macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

Criminals are stupid and are usually only interested in getting rid of goods as fast as they can so I doubt they would think of doing something like that. Still even if they did read this post and tried it this thing is supposed to be made of some metal material which I hope would leave a lump or at least indentations on the sticker above it.

I have had two laptops stolen in the past year and I am fed up with taking a loss and / or dealing with insurance companies. I want to get my property back and Apple has no system in place for recovering lost laptops.

I will never sell an old laptop, I have never sold an old desktop or server either so worrying about resale value is silly to me. I buy a computer product to use for MANY years.

Since no one is exactly sure of how well this works I will be the test dummy and will post pictures of it once I get a new laptop in December.

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Not having a valid plate ID number I cannot confirm this, but it seems as though you can transfer ownership information if you were to sell a tagged product. So this won't devalue the item and actually may increase resale to some buyers.