Has anyone used a USB>Ethernet adaptor?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bensheim, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Bensheim macrumors newbie

Hi there

Quick question: Has anyone any experience of USB>Ethernet adaptors?

Reason: I'm probably about to buy a new network printer. The one I've sourced is USB connectivity. The office network runs on Ethernet and very efficiently.

The Solution seems to be: to buy a USB>Ethernet adaptor. I'd plug the USB wire into the new printer, and plug the already existing Ethernet printer>router cable into the the adaptor's socket, and away we go, yes?

There are many of these devices on the market from £8 up to ££s, depending on brand. Plug+play is what I want, no installing s/w or configuring. Some of them promise just that.

Is this likely to be the solution? It seems like it to me.

I have emailed the printer manufacturer to check.

Thanks!

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

My wife has a USB to Ethernet adapter for her Air. I've never been asked to help make it work, so I assume that it works as advertized. She only uses it for internet access.

I have a MacPro hooked up to a printer by ethernet through an AirPort Extreme. There was a little bit of fiddling on the MacPro with the printer driver to enable access by ethernet. No biggie, just read the directions. Also had to set the printer for ethernet, but it sounds like your printers are already configured for that. I think you are good to go.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. Bensheim thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there.

The current printer runs on ethernet; the one I'm thinking of buying to replace it is USB only. (Don't ask me why, but that's what it says on the Spec.)

"Just set the printer for ethernet"? I don't really understand that. If a USB-only printer were settable for ethernet, it would have an ethernet socket, wouldn't it? ???

I have not bought it yet, and cannot until I get a definitive answer. I have emailed the manufacturers' help people but they have not replied yet.

If the only difference between USB and Ethernet connectivity is speed, then logically there shouldn't be a problem? All the Macs will send print requests via the router and these print requests will be transmitted fast until they reach the adaptor; at which point they'll be slowed down before printing commences, right?

So if I'm right, we'll have a brand new printer and a marginal decrease in print-out times compared to what we're used to? Not a big deal and something I could live with.

5. Bensheim thread starter macrumors newbie

Which make to you have, and what is it used for?

Thanks

6. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

You can't just stick a random usb ethernet card into a printer and expect it to work. The printer will not have a clue on what you stuck in there. USB ports on printers are to insert data devices like cameras and usb sticks to print pictures from. NOT to add ethernet cards.
    There is an exception to this though, if the printer manufacturer has its own ethernet usb adapter for that printer then it will work (Ie. Epson, they have a bluetooth adapater for their printers).

Just buy a network capable printer that has an ethernet port (or wireless) built in, or buy a router with a usb print server.. Or just connect the printer to one of the computers on the network and share it that way.

7. Bensheim thread starter macrumors newbie

Now THAT's what I call useful advice, exactly what I was trying to find out. Thank you!

I emailed Brother who have not replied. You'd think they'd know, wouldn't you?

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Sorry, I should have clarified. My printer has two interfaces - a USB and an Ethernet (Epson 3800). I just had to specify which interface to use.

I missed the part in your post about the printer having a USB port... I just saw the "network printer" and assumed ethernet. Sorry about that.

Do a google search for your printer, and see if you can't find some more tech specifications. I would assume that a "network printer" would have some sort of ability to connect to an ethernet .... but that is just an assumption.

I don't think there is any difference in speed between a USB and an Ethernet connection to a printer (again an assumption) especially if the printer has little or no RAM since the printer can only print at glacial speeds as far as data transfers go. I'm using the ethernet port simply so that I can physically locate the printer further from the computer. Ethernet will let me put it about 60 feet away (I'm hoping... I get to test it next week).

Good Luck.... hope this clarifies.

9. ae3265 macrumors member

D-link makes a nice little print server, the DP-301U

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=165

works just fine with Mac and Windows, minimal configuration.