Has anyone used an iPad in class?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by California King, Apr 6, 2010.

1. California King macrumors 65816

I was thinking that it would be kind of hard to type on an iPad on a desk. Unless you bought the case where you can angle it, the viewing angle would be off and it might not be very practical to type on anything except your lap.

If you've used an iPad in class to type notes, how would you describe your experience and would you recommend it? Also, if you've never used Pages before, how would you compare it to the desktop version of Microsoft Office?

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

Tonight will be the first night I wil use my iPad in class. I tried doing my homework on it last night. It worked fairly well. It was uncomfortable having the backlight screen next to my textbook, as well as trying to do my homework sitting on my bed. If I was sitting at a desk, it probably would have worked out better.

I have yet to decide what I will use to take notes in class. I have Notability and Pages installed. Notability will probably work best for this class because we have to draw diagrams sometimes. However, I'm not too impressed with Notability's stability and UI. Anyone have other suggestions?

3. tandersn9 macrumors member

I used my iPad in class all day yesterday and all day today. Typing on a desk with the apple case to angle it was perfectly fine, faster than I can write most likely. I use pages on my mac and the iPad, the only problem I can see is that u can't stylize the text when u have the ipad horizontal, or if you can I just haven't figured it out yet.

A word of caution, prepare to make a bunch of new lady friends..:D:D

4. lilo777 macrumors 603

But use a little caution. When HP Slate comes out those ladies may abandon you ;)

5. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Not as long as I have my 10+ hour battery life. The girls Like being able to hold a charge.

6. jeremyblevins macrumors member

i used it in class yesterday and today laying flat on the desk was perfect for me now problems here.

7. tandersn9 macrumors member

ahhh yeahhhh hahaha

Guy "Hey girls, check out my hp slate, it's so much better than the ipad!"

Group of attractive women, "uhh hp? Slate? that sounds nerdy, the ipad is cool"

Guy "......*cries*"

that's how it will go down lol

8. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I haven't used it for taking notes yet (a trial for later this week), but i have started using Things to keep track of assignments, and that's been working out pretty well actually.

9. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

You sound like a nerd who compares specs and wonders why the iPad crushes the Slate in sales. Same as why the girls don't go out with you. "But I'm smarter, my stats are superior!"

:)

10. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

I used it today at work in a meeting... My case was still on a fedex truck at the time, so i just set it on a legal pad on the table and went to town on it, worked great...

11. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Yes - Evernote is incredible - I was able to type out my notes and at the same time record the lecture! :)

Fantastic - even Evernote on the Mac can't do that :)

12. Jakeoster macrumors regular

I used it today and everyone seems to be looking over their shoulder to see it in action and a few wanting to test it out. Most seemed impressed and probally wouldn't even know what flash was:rolleyes:

13. lilo777 macrumors 603

You definitely don't want to go there

Guy "Hey girls, check out my iPad!"

Group of attractive women, "uhh your what pad? That sounds creeeepy, you pervert" :)

14. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

I hear ladies prefer a 10+ hr battery life to a 5 hr unit. ;)

15. lilo777 macrumors 603

Just keep in mind that as some people who already clocked the speed of typing on iPad and regular keyboard posted on this forum that they type much faster on normal keyboard. Two issues here:

• the quality of your notes will be worse than on laptop

• consequently you might look pretentious to some

I do not like these inferences but here it goes: I am not sure what ladies prefer more - better battery life or bigger RAM ;)

16. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Yeah baby!

17. Inksworth macrumors regular

Inksworth

I'm typing this from my iPad sitting at a teaching station. I've used it in class as well, and in my opinion it's great for note taking with a few caveats.

You will need to get used to the keyboard before you can touch type. Hunting an pecking will be the name of the game for a while. Additionally, you'll learn to love the autocorrect and autocomplete to help things go faster.

I've only used Notes to keep notes during a literature class, and it works just fine. I imagine some of the education/study apps will have better tools to help out with more rich notetaking.

18. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Also, you have to look down at the screen while you type and you can't rest your fingers on the keys. Those that have tried it, however, seem to be doing alright so far.

19. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I bought my tablet and livescribe pen for my classes and work meetings. I couldn't imagine writing formulas and things of that nature on the iPad, to me it would be more of a distraction than a useful tool.

20. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

This got a good chuckle out of me :D

21. midcloud macrumors newbie

midcloud

I used it in class today. It was perfectly fine taking notes and searching the web for related material.

The professor even handed out a handout today. I took a picture of it and handed the page back to him. I told him I was trying to save trees. I uploaded the photo to good reader and that worked fine for me. It will be better once the camera connection tool comes out. I still carried my laptop today just in case. (that's what I used to upload the image)

The only problem I am having are my classmates keep tapping me on the shoulder and whispering "is that the new iPad" :D

22. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

iPad brings happiness; Windows brings frustration.

23. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

For me, it's the other way round - or maybe I just like to assert control over my devices.

24. hchavarria macrumors 6502

+1 I like the iPad but wouldn't replace my tablet or pc for a Mac.

25. chill. macrumors 6502

lol, the professor must have wanted to punch you in the face. also, how does it save trees? the handout is already printed out, and trees are a great renewable resource