Has anyone used Grand Central app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by philburt123, Aug 5, 2008.

1. philburt123 macrumors newbie

How well does Grand Central work? What do you use it for? If anyone has it, can you send me an invite please?

Thanks,

phil

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They can't do that, you can't get it, and it will be used for everything.

3. philburt123 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'll need (12) references and (4) cosigners and a deposit...:p

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

6. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

I use grandcentral. They don't offer invites right now. You can sign up at grandcentral.com to be notified when they expand their beta. To my knowledge, there is no iphone app and i can't imagine what one would do.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

They've also discontinued some of their services, but I can't get back into that part of the website.

8. paj macrumors regular

paj

Actually, there is an app. It allows you to call someone from your iPhone and have your Grand Central number to show up as your caller ID.

9. philburt123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

The new app is called GrandDialer. I dont have an account, but I am kind of confused on exactly how it would work. What is the deal with the "in app" phone keypad? Does it use the regular line or does it use VoIP or something? I am aware of all the features but I wasn't able to understand how the service works by the info on their website.

10. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

Interesting. I had no idea. I would note that the app is not made by google (who now own grandcentral) but that's neither here nor there. In any event, I have no use for this app as I only give out my grandcentral number to people that I might wish to screen (that would change if they ever added numbers in the 917 or 212 area codes). I'm sure others use it more extensively so this app would have more functionality.

11. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I have this application and have used it a few times for work reasons. It is very simple and pretty much is the same functionality as the feature you use on the GC web interface to call someone and then pick which number it dials to connect the call. For a basic functionality its not bad since you can use your iPhone's contact list for calling out on or dial on the pad.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh for the love of crap... this is an iPhone forum! I thought that it was about Snow Leopard's Grand Central! Sorry...

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

LOL.... thats exactly what I thought and would have replied too but your post prevented me! LOL:D

14. creeman macrumors 6502

i have a grand central account, but i dont think i can send invites. and i didnt even know there was an app out??

15. Surely Guest

Surely

I've been using Grand Central for around 6 months now. I love it. It's been very useful to me for various reasons.

GrandDialer looks like a good app- basically, when you call someone through the App's dial pad, your grandcentral number shows up on their caller ID. Good idea.

The App description states that this wasn't designed by Google of Grandcentral.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Too funny Skil...

I've signed up and they said they would contact me regarding registration and a new number. Sounds pretty interesting, but another phone number for the 415 area code; uhh, hello we are running out of phone numbers...

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Did you just sign up now? I know people that signed up a couple months ago and they still haven't received their account yet. Don't hold your breath is all I'm saying.

Back when I signed up in December, I received an account instantly.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I just signed up for the "reserve number" and they said they would email me additional information. I put in San Francisco (415) as my area code and that's about it. I think the wait is going to be a really long time...:(

19. gadgetware macrumors newbie

Security of Granddialer

I was a bit concerned about the security of this software because I received my first Grand Central spam call shortly after using this application. I emailed the software developer and they were quick to respond and emphatically denied that they collect any user information and provided me with the following explaination:

It seems like a great application so I will give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk this up to a coincidence.