Has anyone used iphone in India

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bharath4381, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Bharath4381 macrumors newbie

Has anyone used iphone in India????

If some one has used can you please let me now the Advantages & Drawbacks in using it in India????

Hope i find some useful info.....Please...

Thanks!

2. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

While I did not Buy an iPhone in India, I did take mine when I went back for a function. I had Jailbroken Mine to Unlock it to work with a local Airtel SIM so do keep that in mind.

* Data Speed and availability - Cell data in most places is only GPRS and even then is pretty slow. So Its ok for a quick e-mail check or website check, but not really useful for data heavy applications or handling large attachments. While Metros like Delhi and Mumbai have EDGE speeds (and now 3G as well, but am not sure) Most of your heavy net activity and downloads is going to have to be done over Wifi. Finding Public WIfi has gotten a little easier, but most of them are not free so its a double edged sword.

* Phone Calls - They work fine, or as well as most phones. While You may get a better signal with other phones it does work. It also depends quiet a bit on your carrier and where you actually are.

* Visual Voicemail - This is probably not going to work as it requires carrier support, but then again its not really that important. Especially as Voicemail is usually a paid extra :)

* GPS - GPS and google maps work pretty well. Even the driving directions work pretty well though not perfectly, which is a plus. The hardest part is waiting for the Map to download, as that can often take ages.

* App store - I've not used the Indian App store so I don;t have any experience with how well it works, but it should work fine.

In the end its a decent phone and Net device which is let down a little by the Cell network data speeds. I was back there a little over 6 months ago, so it may have improved in that time.