has anyone used logmein free?

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Just looking for feedback from anyone who has used logmein free

i need to do some remote desktop stuff on my system, but i want to make sure there is no spam or bloat ware with this.

can it be uninstalled?

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
I use it basically daily. It is very useful and works well.

Yes, it can be uninstalled.
does something need to be installed on the machine i am using to connect back to my mac? or do you just go to the logmein website?

albbreinholt

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
You just go to the website, although if you are using a mac it may ask you to install something. It works pretty well.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
It works pretty well but for high definition stuff you need quite a good bandwidth. I am wondering what can teamviewer do that logmein can't?

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
You just go to the website, although if you are using a mac it may ask you to install something. It works pretty well.
the machine i wll be using to connect to it from will be a pc, so with that i can just go to their site? i dont want to install anything on it since its a shared machine

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
You only need to install software the computer you are connecting TO. The computer you are connecting FROM just needs a web browser and an internet connection. I use it often, router & dynamic IP friendly :).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It works pretty well but for high definition stuff you need quite a good bandwidth. I am wondering what can teamviewer do that logmein can't?
I haven't used logmein, but I would guess they can do the same thing. TeamViewer connects easily to Windows and Mac users, is very user-friendly (helpful for supporting computer novices), file transfers, presentations, remote desktop support, etc. I would guess logmein does the same. I usually install it on client computers so it's running in the background all the time. I can connect to any of them in seconds, when they need help.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
You only need to install software the computer you are connecting TO. The computer you are connecting FROM just needs a web browser and an internet connection. I use it often, router & dynamic IP friendly :).
thank you for clearing that up

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I haven't used logmein, but I would guess they can do the same thing. TeamViewer connects easily to Windows and Mac users, is very user-friendly (helpful for supporting computer novices), file transfers, presentations, remote desktop support, etc. I would guess logmein does the same. I usually install it on client computers so it's running in the background all the time. I can connect to any of them in seconds, when they need help.

Thanks for the answer can you give me a guide on how to setup teamviewer because I found it pretty confusing compared to logmein

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
My concern is security. If I leave a hole open to get access to my system, that same hole can be exploited.

So how is security between LogMeIn and TeamViewer?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My concern is security. If I leave a hole open to get access to my system, that same hole can be exploited.

So how is security between LogMeIn and TeamViewer?
With TeamViewer, you launch the app when you want to access another computer. You can choose in the preferences what, if any, access you allow them to have to yours. If yours is the computer being accessed, you launch the TeamViewer app when you want someone to access your system. They have to know the ID number and password to gain control, and you can shut down their access or shut down the app at any time. You can also see what they do, while they're doing it. They can't access your system if you don't allow it.

For more information about encryption and other security features, read this: http://www.teamviewer.com/products/security.aspx

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
With TeamViewer, you launch the app when you want to access another computer. You can choose in the preferences what, if any, access you allow them to have to yours. If yours is the computer being accessed, you launch the TeamViewer app when you want someone to access your system. They have to know the ID number and password to gain control, and you can shut down their access or shut down the app at any time. You can also see what they do, while they're doing it. They can't access your system if you don't allow it.

For more information about encryption and other security features, read this: http://www.teamviewer.com/products/security.aspx
LogMeIn is similar.

With the computers I manage, I have an Admin ID in addition to the User's ID. I log into their computers using the Admin ID and do most updates that way so I don't even see their info or data.

Of course I can log into their account if need be to fix something. But I prefer to use the Admin ID that I've created.