Has anyone used Plex live TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by Spendlove, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Spendlove macrumors 6502

Spendlove

I have been using Plex for a long time now to manage my video collection but I know they also do live TV viewing and recording (a PVR for the Mac) on the Apple TV.

Has anyone had any experience of using this service?

Have you had any signal issues? Which digital converter box did you use on your aerial? Does the service work as well as you thought it would?

Any help appreciated from around the world but particularly the UK!

2. macdave2 macrumors newbie

I just started moving to it from EyeTV. It is different in that changing channels is more like changing a show on Netflix that flipping up or down through the channels. That might take some time to get used to. I use a hdhomerun connect to digitize the signal off my antenna. US here so you may need a different box.

3. tonyk23 macrumors newbie

I have been using Plex Live TV for the past few weeks on a Plex Pass 1 month trial. So far it is pretty bad and I don't think I will subscribe when my free moth is up.

My Setup:
    2 - HDHomeRun DUAL (Connected to attic antenna)
    i7 Windows 10 PC (relatively fast CPU and plenty of Ram)

Things I like:
    1. Finding programs is easy.
    2. Managing recordings is easy.
    3. Recordings go right into your Library.
    Things I don't like:
    1. If i turn on transcoding it brings my computer to its knees and only lowers the size of an HD show from 8G to 5G.
    2. Commercial removal is not great.
    3. Live TV is not great on Apple TV
    Having said all that for the past few years I have been using NextPVR with VideoRedo (to remove commercials) and MCEBuddy to convert to HEVC so I get an hour long 1080p HD TV show down to under 1G. So that is what I am comparing Plex DVR to. For other it may do fine. For me the NextPVR solution is still better (and cheaper). My only cost is the annual SchedulesDirect subscription for guide data.

Good luck.

4. Spendlove thread starter macrumors 6502

Spendlove

Thanks guys. I think the cost vs benefit is simply not yet worth it.

• New digital aerial
    • Digital decoder
    • Lifetime subscription
    That all gets very expensive for very little gain. I would be using the Apple TV and iMac so maybe not a good idea just yet.