Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaco74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
My wifes macbook is out of warrantly by a few months but, having bought the machine with my AMEX card, should still have coverage.

My question is - has anyone here ever had to have an apple product repaired and had to claim the extended coverage through the CC? Does one have to initiate the request through the CC first and then Apple?

Having a minor issue and want to understand the playbook.

Thanks,
Scott

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
My wifes macbook is out of warrantly by a few months but, having bought the machine with my AMEX card, should still have coverage.

My question is - has anyone here ever had to have an apple product repaired and had to claim the extended coverage through the CC? Does one have to initiate the request through the CC first and then Apple?

Having a minor issue and want to understand the playbook.

Thanks,
Scott

I haven't used it yet, but I would call Amex and ask them the procedure.

marksandvig

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
i used it on a washing machine actually.. Its really easy.. its +1year after your manufacturers warranty.. All you have to do is get a repair estimate and send that to AMEX.. if it is more than the product is worth, they will simply credit your card with the amount u paid originally.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Amex will double the manufactures warranty up to one year. If your product is warranted for 90 days labor and 1 year parts, then Amex will cover you first 180 days for labor and 2 years for parts. They have a whole department for this. Call the customer service number on the back of the card to get things started.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Amex offers a number of different cards so make sure yours is one that includes the extended warranty feature

macaco74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks to everyone. I have the gold card but actually - apple was amazing and waived the warranty and fixed the machine.

For those interested, the issue was with the white macbook. When closing the laptop the two little ridges on the monitor panel would apply pressure to the face of the panel with the keyboard (right near the edge of the case) and actually caused a hairline crack and piece of the light grey panel broke off and showed a little gap.

This is a known issue and they were happy to replace the panel and do this free of charge. Again - great customer service by apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.