All iPads Has anyone used the fine tip styli?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vmflapem, Sep 19, 2014.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I returned my Surface Pro 3 because for some reason, I feel like the Surface series isn't very reliable yet (it has many problems including heating, loud fans, etc.)

The only reason why I bought the surface pro was because of the pen. I was originally going to take my surface to lectures to scribble down some notes on PDF documents so I don't have to print out ~10 pages/day.

For some reason, I feel like ipads can do this job as well. So I would like to hear from some people who have used those fine-point styli (adonit, wacom, etc.). The normal styli that have the huge circular thing at the tip are just terrible. I know I can never get used to them. But with fine-point tip, I might actually use an ipad to replace the surface pro 3.

Most importantly, are those fine-point styli compatible with any apps that allow you to annotate on pdfs? PDFs are the only format I use so the pen is going to be useless if it only allows me to write notes on a blank notepad or something like that.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some inputs.

2. jcal0820 macrumors member

jcal0820

Rather it's fine tip or the nub, it doesn't matter because the Iraq touch screen doesn't recognize that level of sensitivity. Only types of devices that do recognize the sensitivity are like the Surface and Galaxy Tabs/Notes that use their own proprietary digital pens... It really is just an acquired skill to write on a tablet or phone.

3. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not planning on writing extensive amount of handwritten notes on my tablet. It's just for some lectures that have those 'fill-in-the-gap' type of lecture notes. So I'll end up writing like one or two words on each slide. Do you think iPad fine tip pens are going to be OK in this case?

4. jrs22 macrumors 6502

All the recent fine point styli that I know of require some sort of bluetooth connection. That means the app developers have to include software, SDKs, provided by the stylus manufacturer, to recognize the small tip. This might be more of an investment than you want to make. Look at the product page for the new wacom fineline and see if it has support from an app that does what you want.

Another option is to use an app like Goodreader. Then you can use a regular cheap stylus, or your finger, and just zoom in on the spot where you want to make the note. Goodreader has a load of features for working with PDFs.

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

http://www.lynktec.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37667

Check out reviews on that one. Seems to be exactly what you're looking for; ie uses battery to emit current at tip to simulation broader touch, but doesn't use Bluetooth for app features so it'll work universally just as your finger would. Obviously it won't have palm rejection, which requires software. But it the ones that do likely don't include your favorite PDF app.

6. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Oh please. The surface 3 got hot and the fan came on while you were taking notes? I have read a dozen reviews of this device and never saw any claim ot this effect. BS. There are issues with the surface 3, but lets stick with reality.

The reason "you feel" ipads can do this job as well is because you are as delusional about the ipads strengths as the surface's weaknesses.

Yes wacom has a new ipad stylus. No it is not nearly as good as n-trig on surface pro 3, but does seem significantly better than earlier products in the wacom bamboo environment.

Good luck chasing the ipad stylus dream--a well documented waste of time and money

7. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

I never said my SP3 fan came on while I was taking notes. I was watching a youtube video on chrome when this happened. You have only read a dozen reviews on SP3? I've read hundreds - from SP3 forums, articles, youtube, etc. you name it.
    There are some obvious problems with SP3 at the moment such as throttling issues, and believe it or not, many people claim that their device frequently gets hot even when the task is not too demanding.

Make no mistakes tho I have no hate on windows products. The only apple product i have is macbook pro and the rest are all windows. I just want to figure out which device is best for me.

8. Anjux1 macrumors newbie

I've been using Notability for over a year now with one of those stubby styli. They are ok and I've got used to it. However, always hankered for a finer point and last month bought an Apex, after much researching. It is comfortable and easy to use and doesn't require an sdk or app integration by developers ( it creates a field that mimics a fat nib). I am a bit disappointed as I can't really discern any leap forward in useability. Sometimes it feels a bit laggy. When I use it to tap letters on th keyboard I'm moving too fast for it to keep up nd it misses lettrs - see what I mean. Stubby is ok for me.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The Adonit Jot Script is decent but not perfect. It's not really precise enough to write at full screen size, but if you are willing to zoom it works quite nicely and I think in some respects, note taking is better on my iPad than on my surface pro. Mostly because there is a much wider selection of apps. I really like taking notes or writing with Goodnotes, which will annotate PDFs no problem.