has anyone used YUI Rich Text?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by X1Lightning, Jan 7, 2009.

1. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I've been messing with it and i really like it, but i cant get it to submit the text that is entered in it, and maybe its just me but the examples don't really show you what you need to do to get the text to submit with the form.

has anyone mastered this?

2. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

nobody has messed with this?

is there a different one that you are using?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'd have to know what YUI Rich is to know if I'm using a different one ;) I use to look at YUI Design Patterns, but other than that I haven't touched YUI.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Thanks for the links. I thought it was something like that. I messed with FCKEditor (or something similar to that name) a few years ago, but other that I haven't dealt with any. I'd see it mostly useful for developers creating CMS's for clients, which I've never done. It'd likely be overkill for a comment section or the like.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Just some opinions on the various editors (not making a suggestion to the OP for their site, this is general observation stuff):

FCKeditor is the editor of choice for a free, open source solution where you need a basic but powerful WYWISYG editor in your web site or CMS. But if you're looking for a professional solution, pay the money and get Tabula, it's by far the most powerful, easiest to use, XHTML output, skinned, multimedia object capable, low memory footprint, multiple platform compatible fully configurable WYSIWYG editor out there in my opinion. YUI is a rich text editor that has the most used features but as you add in toolbars and plugins it slows down a bit. FCKeditor has the advantage of saving as XHTML 1.0 if you need it and the implementation of skins and plugins is powerful but alot less usage of system resources. Tabula is all of the above with the coolest skins and plugins and toolbars plus it has the most intuitive (easy to use) context menus (i.e. right click, popup dialogs to edit advanced settings on HTML elements during editor) resembling the Windows GUI alot of users are familiar with.

-jim