Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI
Ever since I updated to Mavericks yesterday I've randomly had the "pinwheel of death" pop up in place of my cursor for a split second. Just real quick and then go away.

Anyone else?

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I seemed to have a similar issue on my 2011 MBP so I did a clean install and now everything looks good!

EvOlso

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
Same here. If I highlight a part of text, it happens half the time. Maybe they'll fix it in the next update.

yabot

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
ive had a few problems as well, including the one your on about. Hopefully the first patch will clear things like this up.

Also my external HD has no icons, and even though when i click get info on a folder and it says say 7GB... i cant see anything.. annoying really.

MDrollette

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
brand new rMBP with Mavericks and I've been noticing this as well. Not doing anything CPU intensive, usually just command-tabbing between windows and I'll be stuck with a pinwheel cursor for a split-second.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2007
Everyone should post whether its a 13 or 15inch.

Same thing happening with my 15 inch, brand new has well. Typing this from Apple store getting an exchaNGE...

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Ever since I updated to Mavericks yesterday I've randomly had the "pinwheel of death" pop up in place of my cursor for a split second. Just real quick and then go away.

Anyone else?

AFAIK this is an issue with all machine running Mavericks (both my 2011 MBA13 and 2013 rMBA13) exhibit for a split second.

It's part of Mavericks. Maybe garbage collection, memory compression or whatever.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2007
I already exchanged it, but... mine was having severe hangs/unresponsiveness. It would not boot from a usb bootable drive, disk util said (when running a repair volume from recovery partition) that there was an issue with the efi partition or partition map and it wouldn't repair it. That's why I tried to boot from another drive, which didn't work.

I also did a complete erase and reinstall of the OS and that didn't seem to help. I'll try the new machine later today...

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Same thing is happening with my new 13" rMBP. Hope there's a fix soon, but glad I'm not the only one. I'm also suffering from trackpadgate :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.