Has anyone written their own "ajax" code for slideshow.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Regulars on here will recognize my previous topic of a slideshow on my website:D.
    I was happy with my little google ajax feed, however now I'm noticing it's a little slow to load. Upon looking at other sites I like I notice the slideshow on almost every site: and wonder why it is not discussed in more detail and more frequently on here :confused:.
    The bad thing with the google ajax feed is that it is only available in 3 different sizes: small, medium, or large. I thought I would be able to adjust the size but it is not possible and to be honest at this early stage I cannot even select these three different sizes :eek:.
    But searching other sites noticed this:
    http://www.osullivancivils.co.uk/
    It looks so more professional than I am going to be able to do. For newbies here:
    http://googleajaxsearchapi.blogspot.com/2007/05/ajax-feed-api-slide-show-control.html
    http://www.joomlaworks.gr/
    Has anyone on here managed to write their own code to perform a custom sized slideshow? Surely they would be worth billions?:D

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I've done image viewers and scrolling slide shows, but never needed an AJAX component for them. While I could likely program one, I don't have any need to do one, nor do I have the time. There are indeed plenty of implementations out there, which is why it doesn't get discussed too often as we generally just supply links to existing implementations. Not really much to "discuss."

3. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Wow, gonna have to see examples of these, post some links please angelwatt.:D

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

My image viewer you can reach through my site (which is in my profile) in the coding section. Here is a thread where I posted code for a scrolling image gallery. Here's a thread where I posted the first image carousel that the previous link was based off. Unfortunately, it's all just code, not demos of it. I haven't gotten around to putting up any demo pages on my site for them. It's probably on my to-do list.

5. nuxx macrumors member

nuxx

I wrote this a while back for my site when I was looking at Spry (Adobe's AJAX framework). I also wrote a Flex version, which while not technically AJAX it does use XMLHttpRequest to query the server after page load.

The image does resize with the browser in the Flex version. It wouldn't be too difficult to add a resize handle, I guess.

6. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Very impressive nuxx, very impressive. I like the navigation clearly displaying what photo's you're viewing. How long did it take you to construct this? :)

7. nuxx macrumors member

nuxx

The Spry version is my adaptation of an Adobe demo. There's a basic tutorial too. I worked on it, on and off, for several months and re-wrote it several times, although a basic implementation following the tutorial is fairly straightforward and a good way to start.

The flex version I wrote from scratch, but have never really finished it.

If you want to start with AJAX (or Adobe's implementation, at least) I recommend taking a look at the demo and tutorial.