Has anyone ....

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Siron, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Upgraded an XP installation to VISTA. I couldn't install VISTA on a secondary internal drive due to the well known "Windows cannot locate a suitable volume ....." error message. I went out and bought XP Pro and it installed flawlessly. I want to upgrade to VISTA and wonder if I will have the same problem as I did initially.
    Alan

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Upgrade works by over-writing an existing Windows installation, so you can't install it to a secondary drive that way, unless it contains a Windows XP installation, in which case, it should work flawlessly.

From what I've heard, the Upgrade process has improved signifantly (no more DLL hell) however, you can never go wrong with a clean installation on a freshly formatted drive.

3. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

I would like to do a clean install so I'm wondering if Vista will let me do that to the XP installation on the second drive. It wouldn't when I tried before but it might now because XP is on that drive. If anyone has done that I would like to know as I would hate to have VISTA reformat the drive and then refuse to install.
    Alan