Has anyones iPhone 4 been BRICKED????...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lupend88, Aug 3, 2010.

1. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

From the JailbreakMe.com jailbreak? I have never jailbroken my phone before and I am scared I am going to brick it. Please let me know if you have or anyone you know has bricked their iPhone 4 from the JailbreakMe.com jailbreak. THANKS!

2. Kayan macrumors 6502

No, no, no, and no...seeing that you'll probably get flamed for saying "bricked", I'll put it nicely and say: no chance at that. Bricking is practically impossible now

3. doolin.nc macrumors member

I have. I know someone who has, that is.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    You cant permanently brick an iphone.
    You can always go back and restore it thru itunes.
    But if you dont feel confident with JB or stuff like that dont even bother.

5. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

iPhones are damn near impossible to brick, I remember actually trying to brick my old iPhone by disconnecting it while it was restoring, it simply couldn't be done so I doubt Jailbreakme will cause any irreversible damage even if something was to go wrong

6. Kayan macrumors 6502

Highly doubt that it's "truly bricked". Maybe Springboard just won't restart or something, but not brick.
    Thats pretty brave feat sheppy1, good to know you still recovered it after unplugging it during restore.

7. socco macrumors regular

I guess it depends on how you define brick. The first time I tried something went wrong and I couldn't get my phone to even start up. But a restore easily fixed that (just lost a few pictures because I hadn't backed up my phone in a couple days). And on the second try it worked perfectly fine.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

With 3G, 3Gs and iPhone 4, short of a sudden hardware failure, they can always be restored. Just have to know what you are doing.

I have done anything and everything to my 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4 iDevices (2 of each model, mine and wife's). Always put them back where I wanted them.

Save your hashes for every firmware version.

9. doolin.nc macrumors member

Shhhhh...;)

If the OP is really that paranoid, chances are he won't keep his JB very long, or end up doing it all. A simple would've given him the answer to his question anyway.

10. Kayan macrumors 6502

That's exactly the point, bricking is overused and defines an iPhone that is actually no better than a small brick: nothing can save it. That simply wasn't the case for your experience, and most others.

11. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Gentlemen let us define a brick. A brick is a phone that does not turn on, does not display anything, does not respond to any input whatsoever.

A brick is when this phone is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet it's maker. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. It's electronic processes are now history. It's off the twig. It's kicked the bucket. It's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible. This is an ex-phone.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Should I ever need to inter any kind of a cell phone, I will call on you for the graveside service ! Very eloquent ! ;)

13. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

so bricking with jailbreakme.com is 100% safe?? Also, (if I wanted to) could I completely erase any trace of a jailbreak from my phone and bring it back to completely normal functionality?

14. Kayan macrumors 6502

A small tear just dripped down my cheek...stunning imagery

15. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

anyone?

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I assume you mean jailbreaking with jailbreakme.com, since others have already explained to you that it is impossible to brick an iPhone. Yes, jailbreaking is safe. The absolute worst that could happen if something went wrong is that you would be forced to do a DFU mode restore. And, yes, restoring your phone will erase all traces of jailbreak provided you do not then restore from backup.

To brick an iPhone is to render it incapable of being restored to a functioning state. This is absolutely not possible by any software means. Barring hardware failure it is always possible to do a DFU mode restore and return your phone to factory settings. Period.

17. Kayan macrumors 6502

Nothing you do is 100% safe when modifying things, especially from the sound of your expertise level (not an insult, you're just new, like myself). Even the hackers that gave us JB disclaim that we do it at our own risk. As long as you learn DFU restore, you'll be fine. But yes, you can simply restore any JB'n phone to clean it and restore normal functionality, then your warranty is no longer void.

18. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

YES. JUST RESTORE WITH ITUNES.

19. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Nothing is 100% safe. Your dog could walk by and **** on the phone while you're running the JB. But for all intents and purposes, it is extremely safe.

Could you imagine if there was an actual case of a bricked phone? Every media outlet would be all over it. I can hear it now: "Newly legalized process renders iPhones useless!!!!"

Is it possible to find traces of a Jailbreak on a freshly restore phone? Perhaps. Has any Apple "genius" ever denied warranty service on a previously jailbroken but fully restored iPhone? Not to my knowledge. When I had to do such a thing with my 3G, I was never asked if I had performed a JB and the OS wasn't so much as inspected.

20. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

so why doesnt everyone jailbreak? it seems too good to be true

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

#1) Ignorant of jailbreaking
    #2) Afraid of "bricking" or loss of warranty
    #3) Not able to perform JB without assistance (I know, how can it get any easier)
    #4) Still think it's illegal
    #5) If not on list, refer to #1-4

22. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Not everyone wants to jailbreak because if the Apple Guys will void you warranty if they see it is. If they look at it at the Genius Bar or something. Plus jailbreaking could open up security holes such as the SSH hack that rick rolled people a while back. And who knows what the JailbreakMe Method adds to your phone.

Personally though, I like to jailbreak my stuff and have done it to my iP4 via Jailbreak me.

Its all about if people are comfortable with doing it or not.

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because some people, pardon my sharp English, are crazy people that can barely change a light bulb or turn on their computer let alone mess with a UNIX based sub system to make everything perfect. I miss the old days when it was a hard process to jailbreak. There are far to many n00bs on here as of late.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

25. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

BAM ! :eek: