Has Apple allowed pre-ordering unlocked iPhones in the past?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukewarm74, Aug 31, 2015.

1. lukewarm74 macrumors newbie

I know it's (super) early to even be thinking about this, but the preorder is somewhat around the corner. This year I may be electing to just not bother with Verizon's financing BS and just purchase the phone outright.

Was anyone able to preorder an iPhone 6/6S last year unlocked? How about the 5S and 5?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You can buy the T-Mobile one which as long as you buy from apple is unlocked, the one advertised as SIM free doesn't come out for a few months typically although with carriers in the US moving away from contracts you might see it sooner this year. This last year with the 6/6+ there was a difference with the SIM free model having a few extra bands for Sprint and some carriers in China, but typically there hasn't been a difference between the T-Mobile phone and the SIM free model.

3. lukewarm74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thanks for the info! Wouldn't the T-Mobile one be missing Verizon's CDMA radios?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since the 5 the CDMA and GSM versions have been the same one. Sprint uses some different bands, so they get their own model, but Verizon and T-Mobile are the same model. I believe that the 6 was the first one that Verizon actually allowed to work on their network without being originally sold for them.

5. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Verizon no longer has contracts so you can buy their model and just choose to pay full retail. You can do that on apple's site or verizon's.

Edit: I'll be buying full retail again from verizonwireless.com this year. I did it last year because I didn't have an upgrade. For some reason they never charged me the tax :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Currently the Tmobile unlocked, AT&T unlocked and factory unlocked i6 all work fine on Verizon.
    CDMA, 3G, LTE and everything else.
    So my guess is it will be the same with the next 6S.

7. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

Is there any other verizon stuff in their iphone? in my tmo version, when I do restore, there's one safari bookmark to tmo account management.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Hah. If that's as invasive as it gets, one is doing pretty well.

No, there's nothing pre-installed by VZW. Though the MyVerizon app that is available for download is quite handy.

9. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

ah that thing. well i think i'll take the safari bookmark than an app then :D

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm sorry, I don't follow.

11. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

No its not preinstalled. Its just in the app store. Any device can download it.