Has Apple always given you credit for trading in an old computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrat93, Aug 13, 2010.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I was shopping for a new MacBook Pro online at apple.com, and I found this page. Has Apple always offered credit for old computers? From what I remember, they used to advertise it as "We'll recycle your old computer for free!"

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Wow, those prices are way below market value. After trying various Macs I think I'll eBay my old Macs if I ever wish to part with the. I mean $51.93 for a 20" G4 iMac that is near perfect? They sell for about $300-$500 on eBay.

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Hey, I never said the prices were good! :rolleyes:

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I know they take back your ipods for 10% off a new one.

5. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

They've been doing that forever though. I've only seen this recently.

6. aopolis macrumors newbie

any idea what they do with the harddrives? lol i have an ancient toshiba lappy i'd love to ditch that I can't security erase because i don't have any OS to put back on it, so this would help if they throw out the harddrives or at least government level erase them

yay $55 bucks if I configed it right LOL

7. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

Hmm I may trade in my powermac tower, the offer was for 188. And I can remove the extra hdd and extra ram. Most people on Craigslist have been, oh its from 2005 I can give you $100. LOL

8. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I wouldn't put it in their hands to ensure the security of your data. I'd DBAN it and put Ubuntu on it.

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I checked the value of my white Macbook from 2008. It came up $346 in good condition (some discoloration, excellent otherwise). It would have brought $410 if I had checked excellent.

I also checked the value of my work issued Dell D630. $98. I was thinking more along the lines of 98 cents but o well. BTW, I don't think it's Apple setting the prices. It's some outfit that specializes in handling used gear. That's how they were able to give me quotes on PC gear even though the Apple page said I could PAY $30 to have them take the PC gear off my hands.

So assuming this is a third party doing this who has to actually make money this way these numbers mean more than mere opinion. So my Macbook slid from the $1300 I paid for it to around $350 while the Dell D630 slid right down to $98 though I suspect it started out closer to $700. I have heard Apple gear is worth more when you sell it, but tonight I had an objective third party, linked from Apple but not owned by Apple, offer to hand me more for Apple gear over PC gear.

I also checked out my G4 Mac Mini. It still fetches $98. Wow. This is like "dealer trade in" value b/c all I have to do is click "ok" and box my stuff up. It's not like I have to run an ad on ebay and wait for an auction to end or anything. I'm sure I could get more if I were willing to deal with ebay or craigslist.

But to return to the original question, I don't know that Apple has ever given credit for old gear. At least not based on the link from this thread. It clearly goes to a third party whose affiliation with Apple is probably very limited.

10. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I also think this is a relatively new service but I also think they are tied to apple closely. A company like apple isnt going to put something that they have limited control over dead center on their own online store.

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I disagree. I've seen and used this service before Apple offered it. It was called Gazelle. Apple is looking for ways to help people overcome any objection to the cost of Apple gear and if there is an outfit willing to pay people to recycle their old gear Apple will cheerfully link to it. I'm sure Apple monitors the service and if anything shows up that is not complimentary to Apple or at least neutral, Apple could pull the plug. The company that is buying the gear is making money so they have an incentive not to bite the hand that feeds them.

The Apple recycling site looks a lot like the front end for gazelle. Either it is copied or perhaps it is even run by Gazelle.

12. jameswgarner macrumors member

What they offer is not what you always get...

I sent my two 3G iPhones in to cashforiphones and was offered $220 online.

I got a note saying the two phones were worth $90 combined. I immediately responded to ship my phones back.

The next day they upped the offer to $130. I again asked to have my phones returned.

I gave accurate answers to the questions about condition etc so I feel the company was hoping I would take less money to avoid the hassle.

I am curious if what percentage of the "offer" does one really get?