Has Apple become Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DoNoHarm, May 22, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

OK, I was able to understand (with reservations) the whole philosophy that keeping the OSX married to Apple machines. But lately I've been confronted with the inescapable conclusion that apple is using it's control to stifle speech, creativity, and competition. While OSX is a lot better than Windows, I cannot help but think that whith this philosophy:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog...l;jsessionid=JXV2Q4H5CVBKCQSNDLOSKH0CJUNN2JVN

It's only a matter of time before another innovative company creates more open options and Apple starts to loose it's market share. It's just a matter of philosophy. I'm starting to consider a move to Ubuntu....

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're not the only one unhappy with Apple at the moment. There's not a computer in their line up I'd buy right now, due to their cost or limitations. They've really become quite dictatorial these days with their products. There seems to be no middle ground at all. It's rather disppointing. I'm hoping this is just a brief period that they will get over quickly.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, it's pretty clear Apple's rejection policy is a bit wonky. But who really gives a ****? I could care less about hat Apple does and doesn't allow through the App store. The still make the best desktop OS as far as I'm concerned.

buh-bye

yeah, I can't believe Apple jacked up their prices after being known as the cheapest on the market.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They do indeed make the best OS. It's the hardware that's wanting at the moment.

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Love my UMBP, but really only wanted a bigger screen, could have done well with a 15' MacBook. (Probably would have cost about the same though, given current pricing structure)

Considered that myself. Two things got me over it:

1. Seeing the UMBP next to some HP, Dell, Sony, and Lenovo laptops. No comparison, it's just a beautiful machine.

2. And most important, identified a functionality I needed on my computer that wasn't covered by any of the apps in the package manager. Found a program that would work, read the installation instructions, bought the Mac!

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Become Microsoft? I think some people here give Apple a lot more credit than they deserve. Sure, they make what I find to be a more pleasing OS in terms of function and aesthetics, but I don't hold any beliefs about how Apple the corporation is somehow wonderful and magical. Both Microsoft and Apple are large large corporations, and as such, they share a primary goal: profit. Why does Apple keep its OS tied to its machines? Large profit. The hardware is relatively expensive, but if we were able to buy the OS and put it on any machine we wanted, I think you would see a lot of people ditching the hardware side of Apple.

I'm in sort of the same situation. I will probably need a new computer soon, but cannot afford another Apple.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

+1. And why I built two hackintoshes. (Bought both copies of OS X, though.)

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- I'll probably go that route for my next tower.

9. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I find it a bit ironic that a lot of apples original customer base is going down this route. Kinda proof that they are going for consumers who don't know much about hardware rather than the professionals.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Makes me sad too. I've been using and buying Macs for a very long time. Believe me- there was time when I never thought I would be thinking this.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Apple may have its ups and downs, but for a second let me put my law student hat on:

1) Apple has never been the target of the US government
    2) Apple never used their EULA to gain unfair advantage or resort to contractual adhesion
    3) Apple never had it in their mind to be a King BG form of world monopoly
    4) Apple is not the copyright/patent attorney's dream company to go after regarding infringement
    5) Apple never tried to hide, using language even lawyers cannot decipher, to making end users agree to a possible 1 cent charge for all incoming and outgoing email on their mail program

So no, Apple is not even close to becoming Microsoft.

12. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

That ones debateable at the moment especially with the situation with Psystar.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Hardware doesn't matter if the computer with windows is sluggish due to anti-virus running.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Oh you.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I consider Microsoft better then Apple right now.

Microsoft is working with developers and OEM's to create a more integrated experience, while Apple is busy alienating developers and hoarding money. At some point, people will realize that paying through the nose for under-spec'd hardware just isn't worth it.

I never thought I would look away from Apple either, but after my awful experience with Applecare, and then my amazing experience with the Windows 7 beta, I already put together a new desktop, running Windows 7, and it's my new favorite toy :)

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That's likely anti-Apple propaganda (the Apple profit theory in context to MS). However, on the other hand, the EULA is not on the outside of the Box, in most cases like the US Supreme Court prefers as a suggestion but not yet a ruling.

Apple, Microsoft, or any software company can say their EULA, behind a shinkwrapped box, is a contract.

US law currently states that there are six provisions that make a contract void, as they are

1) Fraudulent contract lacking consideration
    2) A contract that is asking, among other things, for illegal activity
    3) A contract where one or both parties are not mentally sound - ie -down's syndrome
    4) A contract where one or both parties are under age
    5) An unconscionable contract, where one or both sides have hidden terms or unfair advantage
    6) A contract that flies into the face of the Uniform Commercial Code

Apple can claim that it's OS is a license, which it isn't. The majority of district courts have ruled that it's a product, thus "product ID code" and "product launch" when any OS comes out.

Asking a buyer to use Mac OS on just Apple hardware is a gray area which most legal scholars consider unconscionable. It would be akin to buying a Gibson guitar and for Gibson to say that when you replace old strings on your guitar, you must use only Gibson strings. BTW, Gibson strings are not all that bad but Ernie Ball Strings are cheaper and better. ;)

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Yes, you are correct, but put this in context to Microsoft who also wanted the right to sell your registration information to scores of Fortune 500 companies.

Anyway, good point, are you a lawyer? You caught a fine print type of concept which is impressive and if you can form equally strong arguments for both sides of the Prystar case (if it is in fact a case right now -got to check Lex-Nex), lawyering can be for you. ;)

Let's assume Prystar is a full fledged case and has made it to the Court of Appeals. This would be a typical California Bar question asking you to be able to greatly see both sides and produce short, concise, and direct arguments.

18. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I know. The unibodys are flimsy (just drop one on the ethernet port)

[​IMG]

I need a quad core desktop with support for 2-3 HD's(main drive, one for time machine for main drive and one for time machine for my PB or whatever laptop I get to replace it). How much is it? $2500

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ack! That's certainly one of the problems. :(

20. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

An i7 hackintosh would set you back about $1500, including the cost of OS X retail DVD.

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Ironically, I have always been eying the plastic Macbook, the one with that strange firewire port. ;)

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't drop your computer, problem solved. its aluminum for god sake.

23. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You mean dropping things is bad? :rolleyes:

24. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Ouch. Someone I know lost his temper and threw his HP laptop about five feet and it landed on a carpeted floor. All that happened was the HD died a few months later and a small piece of the lid near the hinge broke off. He still uses it today two years later.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It is bad, of course. But some of us need durability when we are constantly mobile. I dropped my old iBook G4 9 times. All that happened was a very slight crack on one corner. I've dropped my black MacBook 4 times. It's completely fine. Am I careless? No. I just use my laptop on trains and buses, and sometimes sudden stops happen. Laptop bag straps have broken before too. I woudn't be able to use an aluminum machine in such places. I would have already destroyed it.