Has apple ever had a surprise form factor at the keynote??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cheesesteak22, Sep 29, 2011.

1. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

Signs are currently pointing to more of a 4S than an iPhone 5, if they do release a total revamp it will stun all the nay-sayers and go against what a lot of the rumor sites are currently reporting. We will know everything in a few days of course, but has Apple ever revealed a product at the keynote that was very different in terms of design relative to the consensus among rumor sites leading up to the presentation?

I am not suggesting that there is currently a consensus of what the iPhone 5 will look like, just more of a "has this ever happened" question.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

They released the third generation iPod Shuffle one day without really any rumours or news before. Not sure about in key notes though.

4. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I think the iPhone 3G caught everyone by surprise, no? There were leaked pictures of it on the Internet, but no one believed them (right here on MR too). So when they unveiled it, the audience sounded like they were pretty surprised by the new form factor. The 3GS, I think people were surprised that they kept the same design, haha.

And the original iPhone too... don't think it ever leaked out.

5. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

As bland as this comment was, saving107 is right. Was the 3GS not really rumored or thought of either?

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, most Apple products.

The last year or two has been an anomaly in terms of leaks. There were leaks before (the iMac G4 on the cover of Time the day before being a memorable example) but they weren't as common as they seem to be now (perhaps because their stuff is more popular than ever, so there's more of an incentive for accessory makers to acquire information.)

7. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I think the iPhone 4 was the only design that we actually knew 100% before the keynote.

8. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

It wouldn't be silly to think that because of this Apple completely tightened the lid. I wouldn't doubt that they've changed the way they handle product security. Supposedly another iPhone disappears at a bar and it's nowhere to be found? It was found, by Apple. They've locked it down imo. It makes sense that the only possible leak would only come out of China via case manufacturers. No one is going to risk their ass to leak parts without some kind of money incentive which is exactly what case manufacturers can provide.

The weirdest thing is that there's been a few rumblings about China only having the 4s...so why would these cases be all over China then? Every rumor contradicts another rumor so Larry wtf!?

Let's say they fool everyone and drop a 5 and 4s. I can't help, but feel like the case leak totally ruined Apple's typical awe moment...that's really lame.

9. Muro macrumors 6502

Hahahaaaaaaaa.....love the dryness. Shame for the votes down man. The 5 who voted down are probably still wet of the anouncement of last tuesday.

10. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

iP4 would have been one except for the fiasco...
    They seem to have taken some drastic measures this time around.

11. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Technically, the iPhone event isn't a "Keynote."

12. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Im pretty sure that apple uses keynote for the slides ;);)

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The iMac , the MacBook Pro, the MacBook Air, the iPod Nano, the iPod Touch.

You get the idea ;)

14. Muro macrumors 6502

Correct, Apple has learned in the past that product leaks cost them money. Their filosophy is based on Awe moments as it captures the greatness of a product and this is Apples USP.

15. saving107, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I was going to write so much more with better examples, but as soon as I typed my above comment I got a phone call, so I just pressed Submit and I walked away from my computer. My call lasted longer than I expected so I didn't feel like coming back to edit my post (especially after I had been down voted).

My response was based on this above quote from the OP, no one expected a 3.5" multi-touch based phone without a physical keyboard.

16. na1577 macrumors 6502a

It was. We were under the impression that it was going to have the same design as the 3G, but with a matte back.

17. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I can care less about form factor. I'm happy as long as it has 4 inch screen + the other expected stuff like A5 processor, 8MP camera, etc. I prefer it to retain the iPhone 4 look, but equally happy to see it going adopting the iPod shape.

18. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Bigger screen=changed form factor.

19. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

If changed form factor = bigger screen, and bigger screen = changed form factor, then I want it. I don't care too much about anything else such as the finishing, materials, thickness or shape because I know Apple will not make mistake on those areas.

20. kre62 macrumors 68000

So youre saying you care quite a bit about form factor?

21. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

Only in a very narrow sense, which include screen size only. Other things such as materials, shape, thickness, presence/absence of camera button, presence/absence of led lights, presence/absence of physical keyboard, presence/absence of capacity touch button, etc etc, are of no interest to me.