Has Apple ever really surprised you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xMBPx, Feb 28, 2011.

1. xMBPx macrumors regular

For how secretive they try to be, I've never been really surprised by anything they do.

I'm talking about releasing the iPad before anyone ever guessed they would make one kind of surprise.

I've never seen/heard anything (especially a brand new product) during a keynote I hadn't heard something about before.

Shame on you Apple, up your game.

2. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    I was no where near as active in the Apple Rumor community back then, but the release of the first iPhone was that moment for me. Complete game changer.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Longtime Mac user, but not closely following Apple-related news at the time, the big surprise for me was the iPod. Seemed like something a little out of their traditional orbit... earlier, other (design) colleagues seemed surprised by OS X and resisted it for far too long.

If you want to be surprised by Apple, stay off the rumor and tech industry sites.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Apple rumours are often quite accurate. I know there are many, many ridiculous and exaggerated ones, but often the rumours I've heard have been quite accurate. Therefore I don't think Apple has really surprised me that much, but I don't think that's a bad thing. They make some good decisions.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Oddly enough, the iPhone announcement blew me out of the water when he did that whole: "We're introducing 3 revolutionary devices...a widescreen iPod with touch controls (applause), a revolutionary mobile phone (audience erupts in cheers), and an internet communication device (golf clap)" Then repeated it once or twice until the audience started to get it then announced they were one device...frakkin' brilliant.

6. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

iMac G4 and iPhone, although I didn't frequent an Apple rumor site at the time. Still I was shocked when I first saw each of these new products.

7. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

The 27" iMac surprised the hell out of me. I was literally about a week away from building a PC and then that iMac came out for the same price and power plus the awesome display that wasn't available anywhere else.

Edit: Also the iPhone 4 was pretty surprising.

8. simsaladimbamba

The switch to Intel and the reaction it got from Mac OS X users.
    And the influx of "people" it ever got since.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I was just about to post that. It was rumoured a couple of days before Steve Jobs announced it at WWDC but it was treated with disbelief at first by the MR faithful. :)

10. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

This for me also.

I don't expect many surprises from Apple in the future though. Since they're a much larger and high profile company than they used to be. They work with many suppliers on such a large scale that it would be impossible to prevent parts from being leaked.

11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

they surprise me by what they discontinue, not what they release.

they spend oodles of money and time on a product in complete secrecy, and then 'BAM' it gets pulled for no reason. no warning or reason, and apple being apple, there is usually only a blub about 'not our current focus' or something similar on a few trade/rumor sites.

example: HiFi, best speaker dock i've used/owned except for the lame on top dock. big media event, selling fast, and then 'BAM' no more. i love mine, use it every day, wish they would have stuck with it and made a version 2 with a better dock that wasn't on top...

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. The black MacBook needs to come back.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes, I've got one too; it's my kitchen beatbox hooked up to an Airport Express. Couple of thoughts about why they were pulled:

1. Heavy, bulky... perhaps out of place in many people's decors. They couldn't compete on price with the likes of Bose and other manufacturers, even though the product in most cases sounded better. Saw shelves of them untouched in a local department store at the time.

2. Perhaps it was always meant to be a one-off to spur the market into adopting the iPod dock across a range of peripherals. Even if that was unintended, that's what happened, cementing the iPod into a virtually monopolistic position.

14. HacKage macrumors regular

The only time I've been surprised by Apple, or more specifically, Steve Jobs, was over the Antennagate shenanigans. The fact that he couldn't and wouldn't admit there was a problem, and then blamed it squarely on the end user was a bit of a surprise.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same here. The Phone had been a rumor for at least a year and no one believed they'd do it and those that had high hopes had mockups that were awful especially in hindsight. When they announced what it actually was and then showed it I was blown away by the innovation, as was the audience. That's still my favorite keynote to watch.

16. HacKage macrumors regular

Maybe I'm alone in this, but when the iPhone got released, my boss got one the next day, and I have to say, I wasn't impressed by it at all :confused: It didn't compete with other phones on the market with specs, bluetooth functionality was poor compared to other phones, a few wee things and I know he took it back after a week, but because it is Apple, the thing sold well. I still feel that the iPhone 1 was pretty poor.

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Ping suprised me. I couldn't belive that anyone would be so stupid as to even come up the idea.

At least Apple now know that making a Social Network isn't as easy as it looks in the movies.