Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
At this point I think it is pretty much a forgone conclusion that 2GB RAM is needed for optimum multi-tasking performance in 64-bit iOS devices. This year, for the first time ever, I didn't upgrade my iPhone at the normal 2-year mark. I am holding out for an extra year in the hopes that the iPhone 6S will have 2GB RAM. Is that a realistic expectation? Does Apple have any precedence of increasing RAM on an 'S' iPhone model?

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
At this point I think it is pretty much a forgone conclusion that 2GB RAM is needed for optimum multi-tasking performance in 64-bit iOS devices. This year, for the first time ever, I didn't upgrade my iPhone at the normal 2-year mark. I am holding out for an extra year in the hopes that the iPhone 6S will have 2GB RAM. Is that a realistic expectation? Does Apple have any precedence of increasing RAM on an 'S' iPhone model?

I think it will have 2gb or ram just like the iPad Air 2. Thats why im holding out for the "S" series...although I feel like my 5s can go few more years. So its either the 6s or 7.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
But to answer your question in the thread title, no, they have never upped the ram in the s cycle.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
No, I just moved from an iPhone 5s to the 6+ and the thing flys. I haven't had any tab reloading issues in Safari either, which I believe is the main complaint.

Try opening a couple of apps, then go back to safari and voila

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's more of how iOS manages the memory rather than the actual RAM capacity.

Can't manage whats not there. Doing the same on the Air and Air 2 with an obvious difference although not impossible to get safari to reload which should be fairly obvious as 2 gb isn't an infinite amount.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Can't manage whats not there. Doing the same on the Air and Air 2 with an obvious difference although not impossible to get safari to reload which should be fairly obvious as 2 gb isn't an infinite amount.

Agreed, even 2GB isn't more than sufficient. It's the bare minimum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.