Has Apple finally jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blackxacto, Oct 22, 2015.

1. blackxacto macrumors 6502

blackxacto

"Apple's Jony Ive and Vogue's Anna Wintour: Machines can build beautiful things"

With terrible designed software like iTunes12, has Apple jumped the shark?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I don't think you quite understand the meaning of jumping the shark.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Uh, nobody uses that term anymore... it jumped the shark long ago ;)

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

"reach a point at which far-fetched events are included merely for the sake of novelty, indicative of a decline in quality."

Refers to an episode of Happy Days where The Fonz literally jumps over a shark.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Exactly. And clearly the OP didn't quite understand it.

6. blackxacto, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

Fonz jumping the shark and Jony and Anna are in direct proportion.

7. campyguy macrumors 68040

I watched that episode with some friends while still in high school. It was pretty funny, also given that Winkler was playing a guy who was my age - at the time - but still looked like my dad. We all knew it was a parody, regardless. On to the appropriate current metaphor, tho' - "jump the shark" isn't the right one in that vein. Given that that particular Happy Days episode had over 30 million viewers, the show didn't tank after that (although there were maybe 5 stations in the US at the time...), and Happy Days didn't suck for at least a few years after that episode - contrary to what Jon Hein might say about that series (and the other 200 others he pegged besides Happy Days, before selling out to TV Guide's owners for million$$$...).

OS X is a series of "sequels" - in project managers, CEOs, and focus - and, by that nature, it would have "nuked the fridge" and not "jumped the shark".

I have a friend who gripes about OS X appearance. I tell him to STHU and start coding, and that shuts him up...

All respect to a Tennessean, of course!

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I believe the word "finally" can be removed from the thread title. Apple has languished in mediocrity for some time. I find it frustrating mainly because I know they can do so much better. While I can't imagine, or would like to think it's not out of sheer complacency, it's certainly not something they seem to be improving.