Has apple, forgotten the first generation ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by leomac08, Oct 4, 2009.

1. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

First of all, I own an 8GB 1st Generation ipod touch.:)

But, I just thought the 3.1 update was just a simple update to the 1G ipod touch. ;):p

The only thing I saw was "copy+paste" and "landscape" and "the itunes store update" and some other minor updates.:eek:

1G ipod touch users don't have the voice memos app, or bluetooth or peer to peer connectivity, unlike 2G and 3G owners.:(

So do you guys think, that the 1st generation ipod touch will get an epic boost with a 3.2 or 3.3 update in the near future? or will the next updates be mostly aimed to the 2nd and 3rd generation ipod touches?

Feel Free to post random opinions.:)

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    What does an "epic boost" constitute? What kind of features are you expecting to appear?

3. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

I don't know, but I would love to see a voice memos app, but idk if that's possible... (i'm not sure if you need a speaker to use the voice memos app?)
    b/c i have some microphone headphones.:) and i would love to use that feature.

Maybe, Google Maps can receive a "street view":rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. na1577 macrumors 6502a

If the 1G had voice memos, it'd just be another pretty icon on the home screen. The 1G doesn't support audio-in, so if you plug a mic in the iPod won't be able to do anything with it.

Yes it sucks. I have a 1G so I know how it feels not to get any real new features. But there's not really much Apple can do about that. They can't add something if the hardware isn't there to support it.

5. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

makes me think, that my 1st generation ipod touch is "old" and about to retire......:(:(:(:(:p

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The first generation iPod touch is, in my opinion, quite remarkable for a handheld made by Apple. No other iPod has had any significant software updates following the release of a successive model - let alone two new models (the second and third gen).

Bluetooth: Physically impossible in the 1st gen touch. The bluetooth chip in the 2nd and 3rd gen are part of the same chip used for Wi Fi - the 1st gen uses a totally different chipset lacking the bluetooth functions. It's a hardware difference that cannot be helped with any sort of software. At first not even 2nd gen owners could use the bluetooth functions and had to fork out the cash to pay for the 3.0 software to 'unlock' it. Apparently the same chip also has FM radio capabilities, but this is something that Apple is yet to allow 2nd/3rd gen owners to use.

Voice memos: Like with bluetooth, this is a hardware difference that cannot be remedied with any sort of software. The 1st gen touch has a headphone jack that can only send out audio signals to the listener - the 2nd and 3rd gens have different jacks that not only allow the user to listen to music, but to also relay audio into the device via a microphone.

I hope this helps :) Personally I prefer my old 1st gen touch over the 2nd gen, it didn't look too much like the iPhone and I loved the black bezel around the screen (none of that "I want to look more and more like the iPhone" crap :p)

7. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

There are certain things like voice memos, bluetooth, and peer to peer that it's physically incapable of. It has no bluetooth chip and it can't read microphones. That's just a hardware thing.

8. Discostu7 macrumors member

an epic boost in his case would involve spending $300 and getting a new ipod touch

9. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

I like it, that you still like your 1st generation ipod touch.:)

U have great points....

Still I wonder if the next updates (3.2, 3.3) will be mostly aimed to the 2nd and 3rd generation ipod touches.?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

I think they have.

Remember when 3.1 took out the double home click to adjust volume in any app without having the music playing?

5% percent of the reason I'm selling my 1st gen and getting the 3rd gen (95% cause I want more RAM).

11. dynamo22 macrumors member

At least the updates are for the whole ipod touch line, despite the lack of features. I also have a 1st gen ipod touch and I bought the device for the sole purpose of listening to music. I wasn't too sold on playing games or watching movies on it. Regardless of what kind of iPod you use, these are built to last, and people should not really update their ipods just to have the "latest" in technology, but to each their own I guess. In other words, if it breaks, then get a new one; if not then continue to use it.

It's true that technology gets better and better every year, so it's no surprise if Apple keeps coming out with new software and gadgets. These iPods are amazing devices, and personally I could care less if the person sitting next to me has a 3rd gen 32 gig ipod touch.

12. AgirWithaBook macrumors newbie

13. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

yup. The only reason I use a 2g iPod touch is because my first gen acquired some problems

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Dude, this thread is from 2009 - I'm sure the OP's first gen iPod Touch is long gone by now ;)