Has Apple moved the bar on luxury watches?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MartyCan, Apr 23, 2015.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I'm in Canada. I will NOT be ordering an Apple Edition Watch at an average price of about $20,000.

Gold case or not has Apple moved the bar? Thye are charging Rolex type prices (+$2,000 if you want AppleCare on it) for a watch with a pretty case and nice band but is functionally no better than the Sport at $449?

How much money do you have or how much status do you need to buy an Edition that offers no additional function?

2. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

It's pretty average for the luxury watch market. I would even say below average.. There are watches out there, it is unbelievable.. To your second point: Income of 200k and up per year, should put you in a comfortable situation to buy the edition.

3. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Comfort versus wasting money are 2 different things. I can afford an Edition. I see no point. I ordered a Sport.

It took me a lot to buy my last watch which was one I had wanted for a long time. Tag Heuer Formula 1. Cost $1,000. Prior to that I had never spent more than $100 on a watch and usually a lot less.

4. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

A Timex tells time better than a Rolex. And the regular maintenance that a Rolex requires will cost a lot more than replacing the Timex periodically.

Why would you spend 100x the money on a watch that functions WORSE?

Oh right, because you like it and you can.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

pricing i guess its ok, but my thing is that its going to be outdated. A Rolex or the like will last the test of time and could be passed down. An apple watch not so much..The technology will change and get better

6. Nicklaus macrumors 6502

Nicklaus

I have a Rolex and a Tag, and ordered a Milanese and a SG sport. They haven't moved the bar they are two totally different things. One a completely new thing. An edition is a bargain by comparison at first look, but it won't last you generations and hold value like a Rolex. An edition will be melted down and sold for scrap in 4 years.

7. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Exactly my point. Why the huge premium on the Edition? Not that I want one. If I am going to pay premium then I expect more than just prettier metal.

8. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I have a Rolex Sea Dweller that I bought 17 years ago for $3000.00 I can sell it today for $6000.00 do you think the Apple watch you buy today will worth a penny in two years from now?

9. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Or also because a Rolex will still be worth a lot when a Timex will be in the landfill.

I'm not looking for reasons to buy an Edition. I'm wondering how they decided that by putting the same guts in a gold,case it was worth 20x the price? And probably assembled on the same line and by the same people in China.

My Tag is not an expensive one and I know it but it does what I expect.

10. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Say what? :confused: -> 200K <- and up? Clearly you do not have kids or other activities in your life. Or, you are lucky enough (big ? there) to live in a depressed area and make that money. In my estimation of average circumstances, nobody but NODBODY should be buying $20,000 watches if their end of year is 200K or even 300K (upto 10% of your yearly total on a watch!). Sure, there are cases, such as folks that need to exude wealth as part of their business lifestyle, but they are exceptions, not the rule. 200K in modest areas just isn't what it used to be. And that is really sad considering the ever widening gap between rich and poor.

11. Rigby macrumors 601

It's simple really. Just like luxury car companies build very expensive "halo cars", Apple has built a "halo watch". Its purpose is not primarily to sell, but to add a perception of luxury to the "Apple Watch" brand, some of which trickles down to the cheaper models as well. If the "Edition" didn't exist, the Apple Watch would really not be much different from any other smart watch out there: A slightly geeky piece of technology. The aura of "luxury" is the primary differentiator (or at least Apple hopes it will be). What Apple is trying to do is to make smart watches acceptable to a broader audience than just tech enthusiasts.

12. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I am an Apple fan, have owned most of their computers beginning with an Apple II, loved my first 128k Mac, and my whole family is on iOS. The Apple watch isn't going to touch the luxury watch market. That's laughable on its face.

Folks that own luxury watches have very different reasons. It's not about telling time. It's exclusivity, craftsmanship, design, style, and in many cases, investment. The Apple watch is hitting a completely different vibe and market. Yes, I have 2 Apple watches on order. I'm not getting rid of my Hublot, IWC, Pams, or Seiko Spring Drives. They have totally different usage.

13. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

No. Apple has not. When you buy a watch like a Rolex or Cartier, you know that in 50 years it will still work and hold its value.

The Apple watch will start to degrade immediately. In 5 years, the battery will surely be poor after charging it on a daily basis. The screen may be scratched up and there will be better Apple watches available.

14. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Now there is an answer I'd not considered. Thanks for your input!

But still I cannot see an Edition (save for S/N 0000000001 :D) having much value in the future.

With maintenance a Rolex will always work as designed. My 1st Gen iPad Mini is virtually outdated now. My iPhone 6 runs apps better. The Apple Watch will be the same. Buy an Edition and you are really just speculating on the value of the gold.